We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maine coast in June

Woodstock, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Maine coast in June

Hello,

My husband and I (and dog) are road tripping out to Boston and then up the Maine coast in early June. We'll have 4 nights in Boston. Then the Maine coast stops are as follows:

2 nights (Mon-Tues) in Alfred (near Kennebunk)

2 nights in Lincolnville (Wed-Thurs) (near Camden Hill SP)

2 nights in Bar Harbor (Fri-Sat)

Location/Lodging was chosen based on dog-friendliness and budget. Now that we have that figured out, I am seeking advice for what we should do, see and eat while at each of these places. We are in our early thirties and we're pretty active. We have a conservative budget, but also recognize that we might not have the chance to travel these parts again any time soon.

We'd like some beach time (is it warm enough then?) and we're thinking of a whale-watching tour (is this the right time of year to actually see whales?). Also, I'm worried we won't have enough time in Acadia to see everything, so we might do the whale watching from our mid-coast stop to not take away from our Acadia time.

Another idea I'm toying with is going inland for a day for a rafting trip, but I don't know if that is feasible.

Oh, and I'd love to see a moose and puffins. I know I have to go inland to see moose....how far? What're can I track down puffins? :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maine coast in June

You'd have to travel pretty far to see moose and puffins. There is a puffin/whale watch trip out of Bar Harbor that you might see puffins on. It's a four hour trip so it will be half of one of your days in Acadia. The best puffin trip is out of Lubec (which is a two hour drive from Bar Harbor and the trip starts at 6 a.m.).

There's not much in terms of beaches here in Acadia except for Sand Beach and it's up to you whether or not you think it feels warm enough. Sometimes it is, sometimes not. Early June is a questionable time. We've had a pretty cold May so far. It barely even feels like Spring yet.

Check out www.acadiamagic.com for more ideas about what to do during your stay.

Woodstock, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maine coast in June

Thanks for the info, lovingbarharbor. It's been a pretty chilly spring here in IL, too. :/. Hopefully it warms up quickly!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maine coast in June

Hey, we're nearly neighbors-I live in Crystal Lake and work in Woodstock! We were in Maine last June-went to NYC first, then 5 days in Maine and finished up in Boston. We spent 2 nights in Old Orchard Beach and had wonderful weather-high 70's-got sunburned, and then 4 nights in Bar Harbor-had wonderful weather. Took the puffin/whale watch out of Bar Harbor one morning. Saw plenty of puffins and 1 whale-if I had to do it again I'd take the afternoon tour which focuses more on the whales-heard it is a better trip but my daughter wanted to see puffins. We had a rainy day one of our days by Bar Harbor and drove out to Baxter State Park in Millinocket-saw two moose outside the park and one bull moose inside. Didn't realize until after we had visited however that they restrict day visitors-check into this before you go (if you go) and I believe the other recommended moose "seeing" area is Greenville (forgive me if I'm off here) and I think it was about the same driving time-if I recall was around 2 hours drive there plus a couple of hours in the park-pretty much a full day-got back in time for a lobster dinner of course.

In my opinion, I think 2 days on the beach is enough, especially in June, and I would personally concentrate the rest of my time around Acadia. The park and Bar Harbor will give you plenty to do. I had heard great things about Camden but on our drive up, it was the most congested area we came across-I think you can get the same effect from driving up to Lake Geneva in the summer.

Windham, Maine
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Maine coast in June

There are whale watches out of Kennebunk, and ocean drive in Kennebunkport is nice - I would eat lunch at Cape Porpoise just north of Kennebunkport. Another option - Perkins Cove, Ogunquit I would make sure to hit Portland Head Light and maybe LLBean and Freeport if your schedule allows. Route 1 up the coast is worth the drive since it is chocked full of interesting places and the towns are interesting and scenic - downtown Damariscotta is pretty cool on the way down the coast to Rockland, Camden and Lincolnville. Drive up Mt Battie for the awesome view of the coast and Camden Harbor - if you have a day go to the Farnsworth Museum or take the ferry from Rockland to Vinalhaven for the day - you see the mountains of the coast coming and going, pass thru islands and visit a quaint island village. Eat lunch at Cleonice Mediterannean Bistro on Main Street in Ellsworth on way to Bar Harbor - stop at Sand beach and drive up Cadillac and just enjoy hiking around. Take your dogs to pet store Bark Harbor! Go on flickr and google photos of place names along the coast and check out Acadia Magic Least cold beaches are south of Portland (Scarborough, Ferry, Kennebunk)

Edited: 22 May 2014, 01:42
Woodstock, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maine coast in June

This is great information! Thank you. I have some research to do. The trip is coming quickly.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maine coast in June

Cleonice is still in Ellsworth, but has moved---they are near the Post Offfice. The former Cleonice space in the Luccini Building is now The Cellar. It also is very good, with a diverse menu.

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maine coast in June

A former Main resident (Mainiac?) told me that there's a restaurant in/near Bar Harbor that serves POPOVERS! I haven't had one in decades and am really eager to have some again. Does anyone know where they're available? I think she told me it was in a restaurant "on top of a mountain", like Cadillac? Others say no, there's no restaurant up there. Please help me find popovers!

Edited: 23 May 2014, 17:37
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maine coast in June

There is no restaurant on top of Cadillac. The place with popovers is Jordan Pond House. They have a lawn overlooking the pond. It's very good. Each order is two popovers and they serve them one at a time, coming out with your second popover, in a napkin-lined basket, fresh from the oven. Butter and strawberry jam. Tea or lemonade.

http://acadiajordanpondhouse.com/

9. Re: Maine coast in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 06:17