We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time Visit to Acadia

Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
1st Time Visit to Acadia

My husband and I, along with our 17mo daughter, will be vacationing in Bar Harbor the week of June 16. We are planning at least a full day and possible another half day in Acadia. We have a back carrier for our daughter to make it a little easier getting around. What recommendations do you have as far as trails and must-see sights. My husband and I are both active and anxious to get the most of out this visit.

Thank you in advance for all recommendations.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time Visit to Acadia

The first thing you will want to do is drive the Park Loop Road, taking in the various sites along the ocean as well as Jordan Pond, Bubble Rock, and the top of Cadillac Mountain. This will give you a good idea of what is out there.

The Visitor's Center has a scale model of the Park along with Park Rangers on duty who can give you good suggestions. The carriage roads (for example six miles around Eagle Lake or 3.4 miles on the Witch Hole Pond Loop) are nice for walking side by side without any scrambling on rock cliffs. There is also the hike along the ocean from Sand Beach to Otter Point. It's fairly flat and very, very scenic as you watch the waves hit the rocky shore. Plus many, many more hikes from very tiring stair trails up mountains to easier walks.

After a hike it's always fun to have lunch or afternoon tea and popovers on the lawn overlooking Jordan Pond. http://acadiajordanpondhouse.com/

It's also fun to walk the sand and gravel bar that is exposed for three hours around the time of low tide. It starts at the end of Bridge Street in Bar Harbor and goes over to Bar Island which is wholly owned by Acadia National Park. The little one can scramble in the tide pools and have a fun experience of the ocean floor, finding treasures.

Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time Visit to Acadia

Thanks so much for all this helpful advice. This is exactly what we were looking for. Looking forward to our trip a week away!

- Amy

Highland Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time Visit to Acadia

The first time we went to Acadia, we also drove the Park Loop. It will give you a good feel for the park, and it will help you get a better idea of where you want to stop and spend more time.

I would definitely second the suggestion to make a stop at Jordan House especially if it's a nice day. Nothing beats lunch on the lawn, it's such a beautiful place for lunch, and the food is great too! If you're not hungry for a big meal, you can't go wrong with the popovers. :-) If you're in a hiking mood while there, there's a pretty flat and easy trail that goes around the lake. When coming down from the Jordan House, if you go to the right on the path, it's easy hiking, and if you're up for a little more of a hike, you can go up the bubbles at the far end of the lake for some amazing views. :-)

Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time Visit to Acadia

I just wanted to thank you both for your recommendations. We had an awesome trip!! The weather was a huge plus as it was 70 and sunny every day. We hiked around Jordan's Pond and had lunch on the lawn right after. Definitely one of the trip highlights. We drove the Park Loop and were able to do quite a lot in 2 days -- even with a 17 month old!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time Visit to Acadia

You are welcome. I'm glad you had a good vacation.

Highland Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time Visit to Acadia

Glad to hear you had a great time! We're going back up in September, I've been counting the days since January :-)

7. Re: 1st Time Visit to Acadia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:15