We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe cliff jumping?

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Safe cliff jumping?

We'll be out at Acadia in about a week and a half. At 27, it'll be my first time EVER seeing the ocean, and I can't wait! I would love to try cliff jumping like in videos I've seen on YouTube, but am not especially athletic. I've jumped off platforms and high dive boards in swimming pools before, and have jumped off cliffs a couple times before in Michigan. I'm a strong swimmer, so that's not a big issue. My main concern is jumps with rocks that jut out from the cliff. I want to know that I can jump without breaking my legs at the bottom! I do realize I'm being a bit paranoid (and that no cliff jump is 100% safe), but I'll also be traveling with my parents who will almost certainly not be jumping and would appreciate now having to worry about me dying. (Those high standards of theirs) Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe cliff jumping?

Not much cliff jumping into the ocean around here. For one thing, the water is freezing and the coast line is pretty rocky and rough. Maybe someone else will chime in with a different answer but I've never seen anyone doing that.

At Echo Lake, you can jump off the high rocks into the lake - not a cliff. You can park at the lot across from Acadia Mountain and take the short walk to the water.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe cliff jumping?

I definitely wouldn't do that. The next ocean wave will come and dash you into the rocks.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe cliff jumping?

I am not aware of any ocean cliff jumping near Acadia. I'm sure such a place might exist where some people do it but it is not a common or popular thing for the reasons already mentioned. Unless it is in a very protected harbor or tidal river the waves and or swells would make it very dangerous to be swimming anywhere near a cliff or rocks. Also the tidal currents in rivers could make it difficult to swim back to a safe landings spot. Your best bet is to find a lake. I have seen people doing it at Echo lake as mentioned, there are likely other places but none that I have personally seen or done but I have stopped looking for such stuff (but thinking maybe I should now that I think about it) Be safe and enjoy the beauty of the Maine coast cant think of many better places for a first sight of the ocean.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,767 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe cliff jumping?

Welcome to the Maine Forum. I'm not sure just which videos you may have seen on YouTube, but am willing to bet that most, if not all of them, were of cliff diving into the Pacific Ocean, not the northern Atlantic off the coast of Maine. Have seen, and spent some time on, both oceans and they definitely have different characteristics. Have also lived in Maine almost all my life (it's not over yet, so I can't say "all" my life) and have never seen or heard of cliff diving as a common or popular sport here. As already mentioned, water temperatures, wave characteristics, shape of oceanside cliffs and rocks, and other factors all combine to make it far more dangerous than in other places around the world where it is definitely safer and more popular.

As you'll discover once you get here, there are many, many ways to see and enjoy Maine's coastline besides doing it in a way which will almost certainly end up with another first-time-ever visit -- to a Maiine hospital....

Sorry, but just not a good idea for coastal Maine.

Highland Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe cliff jumping?

Well, here's my thoughts. I can't think of anywhere that has a cliff, that also doesn't have jagged, dangerous rocks in/around the water. And the water is COLD….. when I say cold, the brave people at the beach are in a little past their ankles lol Plus, you have to be VERY careful with the way the tides are… the water can be 20 feet deep somewhere, and inches deep a few hours later.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if cliff diving is such a good idea in/around Acadia.

That being said, the scenery is absolutely amazing, and I'm sure you'll be nothing short of satisfied!

Edited: 06 August 2014, 00:52
MA
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe cliff jumping?

Safe cliff jumping is an oxymoron!

7. Re: Safe cliff jumping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 13:35
8. Re: Safe cliff jumping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2016, 07:18