We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Pond to Echo Lake Hike?

Santa Cruz...
7 posts
Save Topic
Long Pond to Echo Lake Hike?

Hello! first-timer to Acadia here and trying to find a way to do a nice moderate hike before swimming at Echo Lake Beach.

Does anyone know if there is a moderate hike from the South side of Long Pond (end of long pond rd) to Echo Lake Beach? Based on some maps I found, it looks like one could do the following:

Beach Mountain West Ridge Trail >> Trail Beech Mountain >> Beech Cliff Trail

Anyone of any thoughts on this? Difficulty level? Amount of time needed?

Thanks!

Edited: 15 August 2014, 15:47
Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Echo Lake Beach
Echo Lake Beach
103 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
981 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Pond to Echo Lake Hike?

I haven't done this in a while but as I recall the trail is pretty intense getting down to Echo Lake. If you're at the end of Long Pond there is a hike/walk along the western shore. Walk for a while along the water and you'll come across some large rocks on a point jutting into the water. Great place to swim. Go along the trail a little further and you'll see some more large rocks (a little smaller) and that's another great place to swim. You can then loop up to Mansell Mtn back down to the parking lot.

Mentioned in this post
Echo Lake Beach
Echo Lake Beach
103 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Pond to Echo Lake Hike?

I have never done that one, but looking at the topo map, I agree with mrsomes---going down the Beech Cliff trail to Echo Lake would definitely NOT be a moderate hike. The advice on swimming spots sounds good as well; mrsomes is well acquainted with that area.

Mentioned in this post
Echo Lake Beach
Echo Lake Beach
103 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Santa Cruz...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Pond to Echo Lake Hike?

Thanks both of you for the advice! I ended up doing Beech Mountain and then Acadia Mountain. After my hikes I took a dip at Echo Lake. I had an excellent time! I also did a kayaking trip with National Park Sea Kayak Tours which took us along the north-west coast of the island in Western Bay. Saw seals and two bald eagles flew right by me and my kayak partner! I am native of California (doing a Summer internship in Boston) and I'm very happy I got to witness the beauty of Maine! Can't wait to go again. :)

Edited: 28 August 2014, 15:12
Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Echo Lake Beach
Echo Lake Beach
103 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
National Park Sea Kayak Tours
National Park Sea Kayak...
380 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Pond to Echo Lake Hike?

Thank you for telling us how it went. Come back soon.

5. Re: Long Pond to Echo Lake Hike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 07:16