We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

I live in southeast Michigan, and I was recently checking plane tickets from Detroit to destinations in the western US. I checked the price of a flight to Salt Lake City expecting it to be in the $300-$400 range like normal, but I was shocked to find them only $170, which is much less than even a flight to Las Vegas.

I was thinking that to take advantage of this great price, we could take a family vacation to Utah. We would fly into Salt Lake, then drive down to Arches National Park and Canyonlands. I have a 14 year old and a 17 year old. Would you recommend this trip? What activities would you recommend?

Thanks.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

"Would you recommend this trip?"

Yes, stop thinking about it and do it:)

As for activities, how long have you got? There are the obvious spots you've mentioned; Arches and Canyonlands National Parks; Dead Horse State Park; more ideas at this recent thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60724-i814-k24054…

And then we could also talk about travelling a loop to Capitol Reef NP, Route 12, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP ....

(We're arriving SLC on Tuesday ourselves and have nearly 3 weeks planned between Salt Lake, Zion & Moab - after having visited several times before)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

Hey N-D, just in time for the snow!

Sultana. When would you be coming? You'll find lots to do and great scenery. Its a very outdoors kind of place, hiking, boating, rafting, fishing, jeeping, mountain biking. Things to see include lots of arches, ancient indian relics, interesting desert scenery. Lots of fun, come.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

I forgot to mention earlier that we would be coming over spring break for about a week in mid April. What is the weather like in the Moab area in April? And what activities would you recommend for a family with two teenagers (one of which is not overly outdoors-enthusiastic)?

Thanks again!

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

If by mid April you mean Easter then, by all accounts, you should avoid Moab during the Jeep Safari April 4-12.

Can't help with non-outdoor activities in Moab other than eating and drinking. We think there's a 10 pin bowling alley and there is a cinema but you've probably got those in Temperance.

Otherwise we reckon the weather would be fine in April but that advice may be better left to the locals.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

Mid-April is a wonderful time to come. Usually good weather, not hot like it gets in summer.

And there really is nowhere quite like the Moab area, especially in the US. It would be hard to believe there are kids who wouldn't like and enjoy it, but I suppose that is possible.

Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

I would highly recommend Arches, especially for your not-so-outdoorsy teen. Arches has gorgeous scenery, most of which can be seen from easy (and shor) hikes. I wouldn't miss the hike to Delicate Arch however. It takes longer than reaching most of the arches on the main trail, but it is so worth it.

Canyonlands is beautiful as well, but not as spectacular. The benefit to this is that there are a lot less people.

I would also highly recommend Goblin Valley State Park if you have the time. There are some very weird rock formations there, and it also isn't too tough on those who are not outdoors type people.

One thing to think about though...it might be kind of cold at that time of the year. I am not sure what the average temperature is, but I'm sure you could find that somewhere.

Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

Sorry I just reread the second part of your post. Weather in April is nice in Moab. Here's a link with monthly averages:

weather.com/outlook/…

...looks like it would be in the mid 70's!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
111 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

Make sure you get to the Delicate Arch about 30 minutes before the sunset. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. If this view doesn't change your teenager's attitude, nothing will.

The Needles District in Canyonlands is my favorite place on earth, so I cannot agree with seldomseenshake. The problem is that you have to hike to the goodies, driving around or doing the short hikes are not worth the time.

Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

Yes, mgnelu is right. The Needles District of Canyonlands is beautiful, but most people just don't get down to that area.

10. Re: Family trip to Arches/Canyonlands..?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 02:17