We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dallas, Texas area to Arches NP Mid March??

lz8
TX
Level Contributor
171 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Dallas, Texas area to Arches NP Mid March??

Has anyone driven from Dallas, TX area to Arches National Park in Utah?? We are thinking about doing that in the week on March 15 (Spring Break).

1) Are the road conditions good fro driving along the route?

2) Any other places/parks worth visiting along the route?

3) What is the easiest/safe/fastest route?

4) Is the weather good for visiting Arches at that time?

Any other suggestions are highly appreciated too!!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Dallas, Texas area to Arches NP Mid March??

I have driven from Capitol Reef to San Antonio several times in January and February without any problems at all. You never know what the weather is going to do in March, it may be stormy and cold or it may be clear and warm, no way to tell. You can look at the average numbers on sites like Weather Underground but they won't tell you about your time there of course. Right now Moab has a lot of snow and March is only a few days away. The weather does seem to be warming up a little so this snow should melt by mid-March.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Dallas, Texas area to Arches NP Mid March??

I haven't done it but my son has driven from SLC to Houston more than a couple times.

1)That time of year you can run into snow if there is a front moving through, especially through the higher mts. So I would avoid going through Denver on I-70 and rather come from the south via Albuquerque.

2) Son really enjoyed Carlsbad Caverns and the Hill country of Texas.

4) It will be colder than even a month later, but again unless there is a cold front moving through weather should be wonderful.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Dallas, Texas area to Arches NP Mid March??

3. Dallas-Amarillo-Albuquerque-Gallup-Cortez-Moab. A good 1000 miles. Easy drive unless snow.

4. Re: Driving from Dallas, Texas area to Arches NP Mid March??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2010, 05:18