We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-days in Arches NP

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
2-days in Arches NP

I have 3-days stay in Arches NP or around. Would anyone like to share idea to me?

Well, campgrounds & Fiery Furnace walk are fully booked. I can forget it.

I'll arrive the Park at around 16:00hrs & stay 2-nights in Moab. Most likely leave at noon or afternoon n the 3rd day.

D1: Arr. at 16:00hrs. Trek to Delicate Arch & watch the sunset.

D2: Early morning to the Landscape Arch..... , trek on the Devils Garden, drive though the arches & with short walk..... Watch sunset at the Delicate Arch Viewpoint.

D3: shots around the Visitor Center or have short walk on Sand Dune Arch....if I missed in D2.

My question is;

Am I justify visit other NPs at the D2's afternoon & D3 morning. I'll drive to the north direction.

Thanks (^.^)

Edited: 24 March 2010, 20:41
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-days in Arches NP

Welcome to the forum, freemana.

Too bad about the FF being booked. Check at the visitor center, in case there are cancellations.

Sounds like you are hitting many of the highlights of Arches. A drive over to the Windows section is another worthwhile diversion and does not take too long to explore. Another good morning walk is Park Avenue; not long (about a mile oneway) mostly flat. The hike ot Tower Arch also a great hike. It is a bit more stenuous and more remote, as you have to drive over to klondike bluff to get to the trailhead.

Since you are in the area, you should checkout Canyonlands NP (Island in the Sky section) and Dead Horse Point SP.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-days in Arches NP

Thanks OhioHick,

Good tip, I'll check any cancellation.

Dead Horse Point SP seen be a choice.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-days in Arches NP

Okay, I'm confused because you say in your subject line you have two days in Arches, but then first sentence you say you have 3.

Then of course you explain it,,,and you really only have 1 day with parts of two others for a total of probably two full days over a three day span. Okay, I'm caught up, I got it.

So Day 1 Delicate Arch for sunset. Good plan

day 2, Devil's Garden to Landscape Arch good. Lots of time left to wander through the Windows section and Park Avenue area (and you mean to tell me Fiery Furnace online tickets are gone for the days you'll be there? When are you coming?) Forget the Delicate Arch viewpoint,,,waste of time imo. Watch sunset in the Windows, or by Balanced Rock. Spend the whole day in Arches. If you do it right you'll be ready for something else the next morning.

Day 3. Since you'll be heading north anyway I would take this morning time to head up to Canyonlands, visit Grandview point, Green River Overlook, Mesa Arch and Shafer trail overlook, Then take the time to drive over to Dead horse point for one last look at this amazing scenery. I have done all that in less time than half a day. I'm assuming you can too. Make sure you've checked out of wherever you were staying so you can just keep on going and not backtracking to town.

Edited: 25 March 2010, 03:13
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-days in Arches NP

chinaloveland: Let me welcome you to the forum, again, since I botched your handle the first time (I have NO idea what I was thinking).

Great suggestions from Kbecjeans. I concur, the Delicate Arch viewpint is a waste of time. Windows section is a good call for sunset.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-days in Arches NP

Tks OH & KB for your helpful info.

It seems I'll give up Delicate Arch viewpoint & watch the sunset at Windows.

For D3, I 'll go to Dead Horse Point because of 2-days drive back to BC.

Another reason is my travel style is enjoying the view/scene/history/culture/architecture..... So, I'll get my brunch there.

Cheers.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-days in Arches NP

Hi OhioHick & Kbecjeans

I've just got back from Arches NP. Left Moab on Easter Monday. Everything under control.

Yes, Arches NP is great, Dead Horse Point SP is amazing too.

All roads (US-191, I-70, US-6, I-15, I84, I-5) are paved & in good condition.

Thanks again.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-days in Arches NP

Excellent. Glad to hear that you had a good time in Moab. Perhaps you could post a trip report with the details of your adventure. The information will be useful to the travelers following you.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-days in Arches NP

Sounds like you were able to do what you wanted. I'd love to hear what you thought about it all.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-days in Arches NP

Hi there. Looks like you had a wonderful trip in Utah. Would love to get advice from you with your recent experience.

We'll be going there 2nd half Sep before catching a flight out from Grand Junction.

After Bryce, we will stay 2 nights in Torrey and 2 nights in Moab. Having to cover Canyonland and Dead Horse Point BEFORE arriving Moab, we actually have only 1 full day and like a morning the next day. What would be your recommendation for Arches? Being city folks from Hong Kong in the 50's and early 60's, we can manage short hikes, but would prefer to drive mostly and just take lots of pictures (I'm taking heavy gears to shoot, the weight further discourages long strenous hikes). A beautiful sunset scene to end the day will be perfect.

Welcome any ideas.

10. Re: 2-days in Arches NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 07:16