We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyonlands

Okemos, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Canyonlands

We will be staying 2 nights in Arches in May and then will be heading to Bryce. Is it possible to stop by Canyonlands on our way to Bryce (say if we leave early in the morning) or is that too much of a detour? Is there someplace else we should stop by on our way to Bryce?

Mentioned in this post
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,402 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyonlands

You can get the best views of a part of Canyonlands from Dead Horse Point SP. Allow a few hours there and then it's only a few minutes to drive to Canyonlands and tour the spine road of the park there.

I'd allow one day for Arches and one for Canyonlands. I'd also allow two days for the drive to Bryce with an over night in Torrey.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,245 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyonlands

Well I have spent half a day or less for canyonlands and dead horse point. That is possible if you don't hike.

The problem is then getting to Bryce in half a day. The scenic way through capitol reef and hwy 12 has all sorts of tempting detours. Like goblin valley or little wild horse. Capitol reef is imo a greatly underrated park that deserves a day. Then along 12 is the burr trail and calfs creek and escalante river. So you can see why red said take two days for that drive.

You can however get there by taking I-70 to I-15. I f you do that then stop for the views along I-70-- nosigns just pulloffs.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyonlands

For scenery do Utah 12.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
4. Re: Canyonlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 11:18