We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

This seems to be a common question but I did not want to hijack other persons thread.

We will be in Arches for a full day mid May. We are both relatively fit, decent hikers (avid divers/snorkelers more so). Anyway... I do have a bad knee(s) from of course - hiking!

We would like to start as early as possible. It may be impossible to get a permit day before.

What is best thing we can do in the cooler hours of the morning?

For lunch, we would to drive everywhere we will not be able to walk best we can - taking a picnic somewhere along the way (suggestions on this tour and stop pls).

What is best for the sunset? Seems like both FF and Delicate Arch are recommended.

I guess my plan thus far is to simply do FF by ranger tour in AM or set off earlier if we can score a permit.

Break. Drive. Lunch. Rest.

Delicate Arch in late afternoon - what time is sunset mid May anyone??

These hikes do not look to be kind on my knee(s).

Stupid question, but any showers now in the park?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

No Showers in the park: http://www.discovermoab.com/shower.htm

Have a cooler with food for a picnic, no sense taking the time to drive out of the park when you could sit and enjoy it there. Picnic tables are at Devil's Garden and Balanced Rock.

I would not worry about temps mid May. Just have enough water and keep drinking it.

Almost anywhere in the park would be good for sunset.

The hikes are either on slick rock or sand, either of which can be hard on knees. Good thing is there isn't too much up hill nor are the trails very long.

Sunset will be about 8:15 mid May

I think that is most of your questions. I'm not sure what permit you are thinking about getting.

I tend to take Arches pretty straight forward. Start at the Visitors Center, stop at the sites as you come to them, take the photos and hikes along the way, maybe saving the Delicate Arch hike for later if you want to do the sunset there.

Edited: 14 March 2012, 02:52
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

Hey - super thanks here as well. I had read that hiking alone around fiery furnace a permit is required?? We are not doing devils garden. Cheers -

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

Let me qualify my response by first indicating that I am not a serious hiker. That being said, we did the hike to Delicate Arch in January. Getting to it was approaching difficult; uphill all the way there. And coming back, I learned that going downhill was no piece of cake on the knees. Hopefully, you will not find it as strenuous as I did.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

Grand Circle. Why no Devil's Garden? I'd rather do it than FF.

And kjosker,,,,yes delicate arch can be a difficult hike for some, but you did it ! And aren't you glad?

Edited: 14 March 2012, 15:45
Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

Kbecjeans, I am glad now, but at the time and for a day or two afterwards, no! But I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate it. Thanks.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

Hey sorry - very remiss in not following this up. Thanks for all that kbecjeans.

So...

1. Pack a picnic the night before and add the fresh stuff in the morning

2. Head into the park as early as possible (??) We will have a pass but do we need to wait until "opening" at ? 7-9am??

3. Drive back to Devil's Garden :-)) stopping at sights along the way.

4. Hike Devil's Garden

5. Take lunch and picnic somewhere ?

6. Start the Delicate Arch hike when the sun breaks into late afternoon, take the trail slow arriving at the arch by 630pm.

7. Walk back out at 830pm (?) after sunset

*Should we park at the trailhead or the Delicate Arch ez access parking lot?

*How long will be the walk back (in the dark)???!

Sorry, thanks and I hope I still have your attention on this one. I think I have it sorted out?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

The park is open 24 hours a day per their website.

Just the visitor center isn't open until 8 am

www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

Yup, you can head into the park any time. If no one is at the entrance station just keep going. If you didn't have the pass you could pay on the way out.

The problem with that is you wouldn't get the park map and newspaper. Which I wouldn't need, but if you haven't been before they are very helpful. I think the entrance station is manned at sunrise so try to time it for then. (or print it out ahead of time from the website)

If you stop along the way then you will get to Park Avenue, the courthouse tower area and then be spending quite a bit of time in the Windows Section. I believe there are picnic tables by Balanced rock, you might eat a small lunch there.

Then head to Devil's Garden. There are tables there as well if it ends up too early at Windows. Be sure to enjoy the Sand dune Arch as well as the others in the area. You should have plenty of time for lots of photos and relaxed enjoyment of the park.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

Park Avenue makes a great morning hike. It is fairly flat and aonly about 2 miles round trip. The light was great there in the morning.

For the Fiery Furnace, take the ranger led hike, rather than trying to figure out that maze on your own. I thought that you had to have gone with a Ranger at least once to be allowed to hike it without a guide. Anyway, go with the Ranger as you will learn a lot and you will NOT get lost!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Full day in Arches - Mid May

Thanks for all this. OK so it's pretty straight forward. I think we really have time for only two hikes. The FF hike was initially what I wanted to do but kbcjeans won me over to do the DG hike - PLUS resv's are booked solid (for camp DG) so I hope we can also get a tent site back there FCFS (hope). Are RV/Genset a problem here??

While I might still have your attention - any recommendations for a tentsite in Moab?

DG was first option (not looking good)

Up The Creek (pricey but showers/shade)

____flower (someones secret spot)

Sand Flats (assured of somewhere to camp, views)

Comments on these:

Hamburger Rock

Squaw Flat/s

ThX!!!!!!!!

Edited: 23 March 2012, 00:53