We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
104 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

I dont see many people posting about their plans to Arches National Park in October. Just wondering if it's a bad time to go?

Also, we are driving from Denver Airport (and back), because we heard I-70 is a gorgeous drive. We plan to spend 1 day in Rocky Mountain National Park, 3 days in Arches NP, and then on the way back maybe take the longer route back and stop by the Great Sand Dune NP. Do you guys think it's worth it to spend the extra hours driving to Great Sand Dunes NP?

Thanks!

Penny

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

Should be a brilliant time to go to Arches. Things start to quiet down by that part of October.

I70 from Denver is a very nice drive.

I wouldn't try to include Great Sand Dunes. Rather more time in RMNP. Although at that time the weather could be tricky. How flexible can you be?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
104 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

The dates are set unfortunately cause we've got the flights to/from Denver booked.

Will it be too cold in Rocky Mountain NP already by then?

We land in DEN at 5pm on Oct 15. So we have at least 5 full days, and we fly out at 6pm from DEN.

Appreciate your prompt reply! :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
104 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

We're looking at Canyonlands NP and Dead Horse Point State Park as a possible detour too! :)

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

While in Moab, Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands Island in the Sky are less than detours, they are simply right there and must do. I hate the term 'must do' but in this case it is more appropriate than 'detour'.

RMNP. You could be lucky, unlucky, who knows. Your dates are fine. You'll have a good time somewhere. My flexibility comment was only in reference to moving on to Moab if things were ordinary in RMNP.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
104 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

Ha- yeah we're definitely flexible ;) Will include Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands then since it's 'on-the'way'.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

Often overlooked is Colorado NM near Grand Junction. That's gem of a park. Getting to Moab from Denver take ut128 from I70. Exit 214 "Danish Flat"

On the way back (if weather allows) you can drive via Montrose and see Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. Great fall colors also on us50.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
104 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

Oh cool! Will definitely check out Colorado NM and also take into consideration Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP.

I had no idea the weather in Colorado in late October will vary that much! Good to find out.

USA
Level Contributor
843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

Check the weather in RMNP before you go. The road through it is so high, it may be closed due to snow. Arches, etc. will be great. Bring warm clothes and layers, hat, etc. It could be cold evenings/morning.

Edited: 26 August 2012, 20:58
9. Re: Is mid October (Oct 15-21) a good time to go to Arches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Arches National Park