We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astronomy tours in Arches

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Astronomy tours in Arches

I have heard that Arches National park has been certified as 'Dark Sky zone', and that you can view the arc of milky way from here.

I would like to plan a trip this summer.If anyone has stayed at night to view the Milky way in Arches, it would be great if you can tell how to go there, how can one spend the night there etc.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Astronomy tours in Arches

Sorry, have not stayed in Arches to see the night sky before, but I will move your question along. The campspot in Arches is at Devils Garden, and is reservable. At this point in time, it is unlikely that there are any available sites, but check anyways. It does look like you can camp in the backcountry if you have a permit. This will be primitive camping with a lot of regulations attached.

Camping outside of Arches in the Moab Canyon commercial campgrounds will lend itself to a partially blocked sky and light pollution. Camping in BLM sites along the Colorado river corridor will also have hindered visibility.

Arches is open 24 hrs a day naturally, so you can stay or visit the park late, then stay in Moab.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,002 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Astronomy tours in Arches

The sky is the same in Arches, Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands Island in the Sky.

You can reserve spots in both Arches and Dead Horse Point to camp, which is the best way to be there at night.

What you need is a wide open spot so you can see lots of sky.

You might want to try a star party in SLC first to get familiar with the night sky. http://slas.us

West Valley City...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Astronomy tours in Arches

When we were there last week many of the nightly ranger programs were on the stars. Campsites will be hard to find but these programs could be interesting.

Level Contributor
1 post
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Astronomy tours in Arches

We spent two nights after sunset taking photographs. One night in Arches and one in Island in the Sky in Canyonlands. Both are great. Just about anywhere in Arches has great opportunity. To see the Milkyway.....

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Astronomy tours in Arches

In order to get the best view you have to travel at the time of new moon.

As for dark spots for this---from my own personal experience Torrey, UT outside Capitol Reef is better.

I believe Capitol Reef and Bryce also have this designation. If not then this designation is a farce.

6. Re: Astronomy tours in Arches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 07:16