We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about airport

ontario
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Question about airport

Hi Everyone,

Lookinginto checking out a few things in SD. What airport would I land in if I wanted to see the Badlands?

Also, How far is Mount Rushmore from there?

I have never been to this area, and I am clusless if it is possible to see both in our trip :)

Thanks in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about airport

The Rapid City airport would be the one to fly into for both the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore. The Badlands are 40 to 50 miles east of the airport and Mt. Rushmore, 35 to 40 miles west. You would need to rent a car or do a tour by bus. You do not mention a time line for your trip. Hopefully you will have at least several days to see the area. There is much more to see than just Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands. You could probably see both the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore in a day, depending on what time your flight arrives. However, it would be a very hurried viewing.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about airport

If you could provide us a timeline for your trip, along with some general interests, we can help you even more.

If you haven't already done so, visit travelsd.com and request a South Dakota travel planner. It has some excellent maps and gives great insight on the numerous attractions of the area. As mountainmama said, there's so much more to the Black Hills than Mt Rushmore and the Badlands. You will be amazed once you begin researching.

3. Re: Question about airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 07:46