We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wind Cave or Jewel Cave?

arlington, texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Wind Cave or Jewel Cave?

O.k., for those of you who have been to both.....which do you prefer for a first-time cave excursion for a 9 year old girl? I have been to Jewel Cave in the past and loved it....but have never been to Wind Cave. Any thoughts?

pluto377
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wind Cave or Jewel Cave?

I personally liked Jewel Cave better because it was more open and seemed to have more interesting cave features. But Wind Cave is interesting too, so I don't think you can go wrong whichever one you choose!

Iowa
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wind Cave or Jewel Cave?

They're both good. If you've already been to Jewel, I'd rec. going to Wind Cave this time.

My preference is Jewel if you have to pick one or if you have kids under 5 (more difficult to carry a child in Wind).

The Wind Cave tour has more tight corners and you get the feel of sqeezing through narrow openings a little more (even though it's mostly paved walkway). You r 9 yo will love it.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wind Cave or Jewel Cave?

For a first time cave tour, I' d try her with Jewel. It's much more open and is a bit safer for a greenhorn, I think. Wind is great, but it does have more low ceilings and tight spots. You may not know if she suffers from claustrophobia. She might not even know for sure if she's never experienced a cave. If she does fine, I'd take her to Wind also if time permits. Both caves are terrific.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wind Cave or Jewel Cave?

For a first time cave experience for a child, I would pick Jewel.

We also did Wind on our trip, but did Jewel first and I'm glad we did it that way. None of our kids were the least bit nervous in Jewel, but one of my 8 year old twins got nervous the begining of the Nature Entrance Wind cave tour: it's very narrow and dark with steps going down. Once she got down the steps though she was fine. I think it helped that she had done Jewel first, knew what to expect on a cave tour after that, and enjoyed Jewel so much. She did end up really liking Wind as well; I would recommend doing both if you have the time since they are very different.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wind Cave or Jewel Cave?

My son at 8 or 9 did not like the Wind Cave Natural Entrance first part...dark and steps, not his favorite. We did Wind first, then Jewel and he loved Jewel...more like tours in Carlsbad Caverns where we visit more often.

6. Re: Wind Cave or Jewel Cave?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2010, 06:36