We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sage Creek Road doable with a normal car?

Groningen...
Level Contributor
638 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sage Creek Road doable with a normal car?

Hi there,

I have another question for the destination experts: We will be visiting Badlands NP in September this year and were planning to drive part of the Sage Creek Road. As this road seems to be a gravel road, I wonderd whether we need a SUV with high clearance for this stretch of road or whether it is doable to drive it with a normal low clearance car? By the way we don't plan to drive the whole Sage Creek Road but only about the first 5 miles between the junction with the Badlands Loop Road and the Prairie Dog Town.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sage Creek Road doable with a normal car?

We have traveled Sage Creek Road in a SUV and I believe a normal car would have no problem either.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sage Creek Road doable with a normal car?

We traveled it in a mini-van this past June, and had no problems. It's pretty much your basic gravel road, although it does have some ruts in it, if I remember correctly. I think I'd probably avoid it if it's been raining a lot though.

Groningen...
Level Contributor
638 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sage Creek Road doable with a normal car?

Thank you both for your help! I guess we will just wait and see what the conditions of the road are like when we arrive there. We can still turn around, in case it's getting too bumby. Anyway we will only try this in dry conditions.

Edited: 05 April 2011, 13:57
4. Re: Sage Creek Road doable with a normal car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 01:17