We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spiders and snakes, oh my

Boston
Level Contributor
105 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
spiders and snakes, oh my

I know this is a weird question...I just booked a night at Cedar Pass in Badlands in August. There was a note on the Badlands website that there were black widow and brown recluse spiders and rattlesnakes native to the park. We are not big hikers, but the thoughts of the spiders in the cabin are spookin me out a bit (we don't have poisonous spiders in NE). How much of an issue is this and how likely are we to come in contact with them (particularly in room) Sorry to be such a sissy... just needed to know so I won't spend the night imagining.😉Thanks everyone... you are ALWAYS so helpful!

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
544 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spiders and snakes, oh my

As you drive to the different view points in the park you will see many signs warning you about rattlesnakes. We have never seen one or met any other fellow travelers that have. Stay on trail and don't reach into rocky crevasses.

We stayed at the Frontier Cabins in Wall just outside the park last summer no bugs or spiders at all , very clean and modern might be an alternative option.

Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spiders and snakes, oh my

We've been many times and have never seen any spiders. I have seen rattlesnakes twice, one was dead the other was hiding in a prarie dog hole.

I'll second Frontier Cabins. They are very nice and clean.

Boston
Level Contributor
105 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spiders and snakes, oh my

The Cedar Pass cabin we booked is the new ones, and pictures and reviews seemed good... has anyone stayed in the new Cedar Pass cabins?

ps... feeling better about spiders and snakes... oh my

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: spiders and snakes, oh my

I would not worry about snakes or spiders, as any incidents are extremely rare. These animals will only bite as a last resort and you will probably not even see them even at a distance. I think the park only mentions they are native to the area, so they can reduce their liability in rare case someone does get bitten. If there was a serious problem with bites, people would know about it. I would equate this to staying away from the water of an ocean, so you do not get bit by a shark.

By the way the most dangerous thing you will do in the area is driving/riding in your car.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spiders and snakes, oh my

We stayed in the old Cedar Pass cabins, and no spiders, snakes, bugs, or critters of any kind inside the cabin.

We did see some type of snake (not rattle) in the tall grass near the Cedar Lodge restaurant. It quickly slithered away. It was actually quite pretty as far as snakes go. We also saw a dead rattlesnake on the road, but that was no where near Cedar Pass Lodge.

Boston
Level Contributor
105 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spiders and snakes, oh my

Thank you all so much... I will sleep soundly. Have survived a Grizzly up a little too close in Glacier National... should be able to handle bugs!😃

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
444 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spiders and snakes, oh my

First, I want to say that my thoughts go out to all of you in Boston. Certainly a terrible, sad and fightening couple days.

On a more positive note, my family and I stayed in the Cedar cabins and they were clean as a whistle. Not a bug in sight. At the time, I had two young kids with me so I was on the lookout for anything that crawled or slithered. Didn't see any snakes either. Keep your feet and hands away from prarie dog holes and you should be fine.

Boston
Level Contributor
105 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spiders and snakes, oh my

Thank you for your kind thoughts. It has been a difficult and heart-wrenching week in Boston. Our hearts are heavy, particularly for the young family that the bomb was placed next to, for all those who were injured and lost limbs, for the police officer who was brutally murdered, and the other officer fighting for his life. And eternally grateful to the first responders and law enforcement who have endured much to save lives and keep us safe. Boston is an amazing city and Bostonians strong and resilient. We are grateful for all the positive energy sent our way this week.

Thanks for the update about the cabins. We are looking forward to our stay there... your comments were very helpful!

9. Re: spiders and snakes, oh my

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 06:19