We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hike in the Badlands

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
330 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best hike in the Badlands

Several years ago our family drove through the badlands and we will be visiting it again this year as we drive to the Black Hills from WI. We will have time for one hike. Which trail would you suggest. I have 5 kids with me, but they are fine going on hikes of a couple of miles.

Thanks

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hike in the Badlands

There's not a lot of trails to choose from in the Badlands, which can be a good thing. Here's a link to the park's newspaper. Page 6 describes the hikes in the park:

nps.gov/badl/…BADL-Planner-2013.pdf

The Door, Window and Fossil Exhibit trails are very short and easy and are on boardwalks. The Notch Trail is not for anyone witih a fear of heights, which is why I haven't done it. (I also don't do ladders...). Cliff Shelf is a little longer and could be a possibility, but it does climb 200 feet in elevation, which really isn't all that bad compared to most.

There are many overlooks in the park, all of which are worth a stop.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
60 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hike in the Badlands

I would suggest going thru the badlands NP at a leisurely pace and stopping by one of the many many view points. There are hikes starting from many of these.

slrtravelplanner's recommendations are good and the link to nps planner is a great one.

We did not have much time so we just drove thru the park but stopped at many viewpoints and below are some images from there

…blogspot.com/2013/05/badlands.html

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hike in the Badlands

notch was our favorite

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,420 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hike in the Badlands

The Notch Trail was very cool. The ladder is probably the most difficult part of the hike and I found it harder to descend than ascend. Take a look at the ladder and if you and the kids think you can handle it, then I think you all would find this hike more challenging and interesting than the Door, Window, or Fossil Trails.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,420 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hike in the Badlands

The Notch Trail was very cool. The ladder is probably the most difficult part of the hike and I found it harder to descend than ascend. Take a look at the ladder and if you and the kids think you can handle it, then I think you all would find this hike more challenging and interesting than the Door, Window, or Fossil Trails.

6. Re: Best hike in the Badlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 06:34