We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Badlands N.P., Needles Hwy., Deadwood - How much time?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Badlands N.P., Needles Hwy., Deadwood - How much time?

How many days would we need to get a decent overview of the main sights in the area of S.D. around Badlands N.P. ? I am specifically wondering if we would be able to visit the park and also do the Needles Hwy. and/or Deadwood with at least a look-see (even if we won't have time to stop and see them leisurely) of Mt. Rushmore or Crazyhorse. We should have most of at least 2 days in the area or maybe 3 at most. Thanks for any help! I need info ASAP! Thanks for any replies.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,984 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Badlands N.P., Needles Hwy., Deadwood - How much time?

Yes 2-3 days this can be done!! Badlands- 1/ 2 day, Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse- 2-4 hours, Deadwood- 2 hours, Custer SP- 1/2 day to 1 day.

Check out travel guide and map at-

www.travelsd.com

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Badlands N.P., Needles Hwy., Deadwood - How much time?

In addition to the Needles Hwy, you will also want to drive Iron Mt. Rd from south to north for the best views of Rushmore, and the Wildlife Loop. A stop at Sylvan Lake will make your visit to Custer State Park complete. If possible, try for 3 days. I think 2 days would really require a lot of cramming. When people visit Deadwood, they typically see Spearfish Canyon and possibly even Devil's Tower.

Enjoy your spur of the moment trip!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Badlands N.P., Needles Hwy., Deadwood - How much time?

Thanks SO much Peachbelle and slrtravelplanner! I usually do quite a bit of research on places we travel to but this time the trip is SO last min. that I need all the quick help I can get to even know what to see and what is in the area. Many yrs. ago there was a book called, "America the Beautiful" put out by Reader's Digest that I checked out at the library. Among other great photos, there was a terrific one of the Badlands. I never forgot it and though I have traveled to quite a few places in the world that one has always been on my bucket list! So now I am going to finally get to see it! I am pleased to learn of all the places there are to see in the region. I have heard of many, but guess I thought they were further west. This is a pretty ambitious trip on such short notice, but I am sure it will be worth it! I am pretty sure we will wind up having 2 1/2 days to putz around baring any big traffic tie ups (construction, esp!). Thanks again!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Badlands N.P., Needles Hwy., Deadwood - How much time?

Any recommendations as to what would be a good route? We are hoping to stop in Chandler tomorrow night (I did make a cancellable reservation there but hopefully we won't need to cancel it) and start out from there on Sunday morning towards all the sights. . What would you leave off out of the many sights mentioned if you couldn't see them all? I think it's be cool to see the Badlands late in the day so there are shadows. (Forget early morning. I am a nightowl and would never make it!)

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
789 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Badlands N.P., Needles Hwy., Deadwood - How much time?

I filled 3 days with Badlands and Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse, leaving out the Northern Hills area of Spearfish Canyon (another hour to the north) and unfortunately Devils Tower in WY as well (2 hours north from the Central Black Hills/Rapid City area). I wish I could have had time for all but enjoyed the area immensely regardless.

For scenic views up high, drive up Mt Coolidge Fire Lookout Tower in Custer State Park (near the Wildlife Loop Rd.)

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Badlands N.P., Needles Hwy., Deadwood - How much time?

Thanks! I really need to look at some photos and info. on these areas to know what there is to see in each of them. Wish I had more time!!!!

7. Re: Badlands N.P., Needles Hwy., Deadwood - How much time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 05:17