We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 92 from or to the North Rim of the Black Canyon

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Route 92 from or to the North Rim of the Black Canyon

I have a couple friends from NC who are coming to visit the area and one of them is not too eager to drive on any exposed narrow roads. After or before visiting the south rim of the Black Canyon they would like to visit the north rim and trying to decide whether they should drive on 92 south to north or the other way. What would be more enjoyable for them?

They also trying to decide where to tent camp in Curecanti National Recreation Area. Anyone has favorite smaller campgrounds with some shade? They are visiting June 9-15

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 92 from or to the North Rim of the Black Canyon

Thanks

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 92 from or to the North Rim of the Black Canyon

Hi, Places. It has been quite a while since I've camped up that direction, so I'm not much help. Hope you and your friends have a great visit.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 92 from or to the North Rim of the Black Canyon

Have you checked the 92 on Google streetview? I was looking at that highway while planning my own upcoming trip (first time to Colorado). It appears that east>west / south>north would keep them on the inside of the drop-offs along the canyon; if going north>south, they could just turn off onto the dirt road to the canyon and avoid the drop-offs altogether, as long as they're willing to backtrack the same way. Seems like a lot of extra driving, though, and that north rim road gets awfully close to the edge!

(I finally decided to skip it, in favor of some hikes and things out of the car, although it does look wonderfully scenic.)

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route 92 from or to the North Rim of the Black Canyon

To reach the North Rim area, the road turns off of 92 just south of Crawford and if they are driving from Delta to Hotchkiss to Crawford, there really aren't any exposed roads. Now, if they are going from the South Rim to the North Rim by way of Hwy 50 to 92 south to north, crossing Morrow Point Reservoir and then climbing to the mesa above, the road is winding through that section and there are some drop-offs to Morrow Point below, but there are guardrails and shoulders...the road is nothing like some of the sections of the Million Dollar Highway with unguarded drop-offs. And going south to north they'd be on the inside of the road, as Jenazz says.

Most of 92, after you get past that winding section climbing up to the mesa above Morrow Point and past Hermit's Rest, is either sagebrush/shrubs/pinions or ranchland. So I'd say they would be more comfortable to visit the south rim first, then drive east on 50 to 92 to the north rim.

But as far as where to camp with trees anywhere along that route, I can't remember anywhere! Well, there's the campground right off 50 at the Cimarron Rail Exhibit. I was thinking there was a campground up on the mesa in some trees...in fact on my atlas there's one marked called "Mesa" but I'll be darned if I can find any info about it. Might have to call the Park Service for a recommendation. http://www.nps.gov/cure/contacts.htm

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route 92 from or to the North Rim of the Black Canyon

Great information. Thank you both and Jenazz enjoy your trip.

6. Re: Route 92 from or to the North Rim of the Black Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2016, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Black Canyon Of The...
More Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park Topics