We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Plan - Zion/Bryce/S Rim - Need advise - Few Questions

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Topic
Trip Plan - Zion/Bryce/S Rim - Need advise - Few Questions

We are travelling Zion/Bryce/S Rim. Here is our tentative trip plan. Please advise and provide suggestions.

Family of four - 10 & 8 year old boys

Love Nature and can manage small hikes.

April 10 - late arrival Las Vegas

April 11 - Drive from Las Vegas to Zion -leave by 9am

Stop at Valley of Fire SP

Stop at Snow Canyon SP near St. George

Reach Zion, see sunset(is there a good spot for this??) and relax

April 12 - All day at Zion. Will do small hikes like Riverside walk, Emerald Pools. Any other safe hike recommendations are welcome.

April 13 - Do the Canyon Overlook hike. Leave to go to Bryce. On the way stop at Red Canyon. Is it possible to see Cedar Breaks somehow??? I really want to squeeze this. Other places to stop?? Reach Bryce and see the sunset. Walk around the rim trails and plan hike based on the time left in the day.

April 14 - Sunrise Point. Drive 12 upto Boulder and return back. Stop at Kodacrome SP, Escalante, Anazasi. Is it doable? what else can be done this time of the year on this route?? Can we drive part of Burr Trail in a rental car?

April 15 - Leave Bryce to go to Page. Stop at Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP. See the Horseshoes bend. Any other fun stops or scenic routes??? Stay overnight in Page.

April 16 - Take a tour of Antelop Canyon. Any other ideas??? Boat trip on LPowell is not cheap. Is it possible to go to Monument Valley and reach South Rim at night?? Stay at Yavapai in GC.

April 17 - All day at the South Rim

April 18 - Half day in South Rim. Leave 1pm to go to Las Vegas.

April 19 - All day in Vegas

April 20 - 6:30am flight back to SFO

Please help me with my questions and make alternate recommendations.

Thanks.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Plan - Zion/Bryce/S Rim - Need advise - Few Questions

Antelope canyon tour was great and I enjoyed it. Horseshoe bend overlook was cool and I don't know how we missed it on our first trip out that way. It's just outside of Page and there are no rails and a long drop, so don't let your kids run too far in front. Valley of Fire was okay to me, but if you are crunched for time, I might skip it. Zion was fabulous. One of my favorite parks. We went in April as well and it was warm/hot in the daytime and cold at night. Beautiful park. Lots of good easy/moderate hikes. Wish we'd have stayed in the lodge, but it was booked up. GC was cold when we went in April. Had snow flurries one morning, but not enough to keep you from doing things. Hiked 1 1/2 miles into canyon on Bright angel trail. Do go into the canyon at least a little bit, as the views and perspective are so different than from above. Hope this helps!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,710 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Plan - Zion/Bryce/S Rim - Need advise - Few Questions

It looks like a great plan and well though out.

April 11-12 At Zions, I love the sunset on Watchman from Springdale to tell you the truth. You can see it from almost any hotel.

As far as hikes there you could give either the hike up to Scouts Lookout (on the way to Angel's Landing) and just stop there. It will get you up off the valley floor and I bet you boys would love Walters Wiggles. Or you could try the hike to Hidden Canyon, it begins at Weeping rock where Observation Point starts, but you go off a slightly different path. There is also the Watchman Trail, almost outside the park.

You might also enjoy the ghost town of Grafton. It is across the river from Rockville.

April 13 - Cedar Breaks may very well still be closed due to snow. There may be roads which can take you where you could peak at it, but I don't think it would be worth the extra time it would take.

(The best would be probably to go over to I-15 to Parowan and up the road to Brian Head. The road used to be closed after that, but some people have mentioned it is open all the way to Panguitch. Going this way you would miss the east side of Zion though you could stop at the Kolob section. Again, since it would still be only a peak, the road is longer, and missing the east side of Zions, I don't recommend it. Go east on hwy9, enjoy the overlook trail and the area around Checkerboard Mesa.)

The only place I can think of to stop along the way to Bryce would be at the rock shops in Orderville and Glendale.

At Bryce, you'd probably have time to head all the way to the end of the scenic drive. Drive it first, stop at the viewpoints on the way back. At the end is the Bristlecone pine trail. It is a great introduction to the park. But give yourself enough time to head down the Navaho loop from Sunset point (now reopened after the rock slide). Another option would be Queens Garden trail from Sunrise point. You can do a loop trail between them if you want, it might be a little long for an 8yr, depending on his interest, but if you go slow I'm sure he could do it.

April 14- yes, you could do the drive up to Boulder and back in a day. If you feel like trying a dirt road in a rental car there are two places I would recommend. Grosvenor arch past Kodachrome and Devils Garden on the Hole in the Rock road. The roads to these are kept graded (but don't try them if they are wet.) But DO go down the Burr trail. It is paved the first 22 miles to the edge of Capitol Reef NP. You really only need to go through Long canyon and up and about a mile past the exit into the Circle cliff area. It is about 15miles and is the best part of the road. Stop somewhere along the way either in Long Canyon or the Gulch and take the time to look and savor.

April 15- From the Coral Pink Sand Dunes keep going south and take the short detour over to Pipe Springs NM. Then you have the choice to either take 89 or 89A to Page. They each are worth the drive, though I might be more inclined to take 89A as it will take you along the base of the Vermillion Cliffs and to Lees Ferry where you are on the same level as the Colorado. This is the only place you could actually touch the water on your trip. It might be fun for the boys to see the river close up and personal before seeing the Grand Canyon. Walking across the old Navaho bridge is also fun.

April 16- be sure to visit and take a tour of the Glen Canyon Dam, and the Powell museum (in Page) along with the horseshoe bend and Antelope Canyon. Bring your swimsuits. Even if you don't take a boat ride there is a beach at Wahweap where you can play in the water (it might be cold, but maybe not.)

I can't say whether the long drive to Monument Valley and back would be worth it for you, but I doubt I would make it.

Check out Junior ranger programs at the parks to see what they offer in the way of learning at the child's level.

Have a great time.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,710 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Plan - Zion/Bryce/S Rim - Need advise - Few Questions

sorry about all the left off endings and poor grammar, I must not be awake yet today.

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Plan - Zion/Bryce/S Rim - Need advise - Few Questions

Thanks you for all the tips and advise. I will definetly incorporate these in my plans.

5. Re: Trip Plan - Zion/Bryce/S Rim - Need advise - Few Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 15:16