We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time do I spend in Bryce & Zion

Cali
1 post
Save Topic
How much time do I spend in Bryce & Zion

I'm doing a family motor home trip: That begins in Yellowstone (YS), then the Grand Tetons (GT), Bryce Canyon (BC), then wraps up in Zion (Z). Would like some advice on Bryce and Zion. I'm traveling with my father 69 (in very good shape), daughters 13 and 11 and me (47).

We are spending:

YS - 4 full days and 2 partial days. My 4 full days in YS will be spent at the 4 major attractions.

GT - 2 full days, and 1 partial day. planning a 1/2 day horse ride, rafting in Snake River, then a couple of hikes in GT.

BC - 2 days

Z - 2 days

My question, are two days at each (Zion and Bryce Canyon), long enough? We are planning a 1/2 day horse back ride in both Bryce and Zion. I would also like to hike the Virgin River up to the "Narrows" in Zion. Most of the discussions I see are one or two days in each park. I could add one more day in one of the parks, but I would have to take a day away from either YS or GT.

Also - neither daughter has hiked much, they seemed intrigued with the Narrows hike, I think they like the idea of hiking in the river. How is the hike? Should an 11 year old be able to mske the 4 mile hike? How about the 69 year old dad, he is in very good shape?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Bryce Canyon
Bryce Canyon
27 Reviews
Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time do I spend in Bryce & Zion

I hope you're planning a stop between the Grand Tetons and Bryce... perhaps in Salt Lake City? It's quite a long drive! I think two days in Bryce will be sufficient for you if you're not into long hikes. You can do the horseback ride, drive the length of the park, stop at overlooks and do one or two short hikes like the Bristlecone Trail and Navajo Loop in that time. Two days in Zion will probably work for you as well... one to hike the Narrows and another for checking out the sights in the rest of the park. If you were to add a day, however, you should add it to Zion.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time do I spend in Bryce & Zion

Yes, the number of days you have is fine don't take away time from the other parks,

I would forget about the horseback riding in Zions. Only do it at Bryce where the views are worth it.

The great thing about the Narrows is that you can have a fun experience no matter how far up you get. So go as far as you feel comfortable. If it isn't as far as you wanted I don't think you will feel cheated.

Mentioned in this post
Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time do I spend in Bryce & Zion

Hi DLo-Cali,

I agree with Kbecjeans on all points.

What I would like to add is the trail ride in Bryce is on mules, not horses. Mules are wider than horses. If you are not used to riding(like me), 2 hours was enjoyable.

We only went up a short way in the Narrows, but as Kbecjeans said it was a great experince and we are glad we did it.

You are going to see a great deal of wonderful country. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Halifax, NS
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time do I spend in Bryce & Zion

We just did Zion in October 2007 for the first time and if you are not doing any hiking a day is just enough time. The park has a bus that takes you to all the key points. We did some of the gentle hikes during the day.

5. Re: How much time do I spend in Bryce & Zion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 23:17