We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

Hi - We are staying in Springdale for 4 nights and plan on having one day to spend in Bryce Canyon. We love to hike but we will be doing a lot of that in Zion and as we live in Florida I am not sure about the altitude killing us! Are we better off hiking into Bryce Canyon on the Peek a boo loop trail or other trail or doing the half day horseback ride and maybe combining it with a short easy hike elsewhere in the park? Thank you in advance for any advice!!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

If you like horseback riding, the 1/2 day morning takes you into the canyon and it is a really beautiful. I would opt for the ride and hike. also if it is summertime when you go, you have a good amount of daylight to burn...

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

I would suggest you begin early in the morning with the half day horseback ride, which will be on the Peekaboo Loop, as it is the only trail where horses are allowed. Then you might consider hiking the Bristlecone Pine loop at the south end of the park. It is only around a mile in length and has much less elevation gain/loss than the other trails in the park. It's a good one to do in the late afternoon to catch the backlighting on the bristlecone pine trees if you want some great pictures.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

Thank you both for your quick responses. I really appreciate it! One other question - how is the horseback ride in the afternoon vs. the morning? I just found out the morning one is at 8 a.m. and we would need to be there at 7 which means leaving springdale before 5:00 in the morning! The afternoon ride starts at 1:00 and ends around 5 p.m. so we could perhaps fit in some sightseeing/hiking before and after that ride?

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

Thanks sherbear for posting this as I am also interested in the afternoon horseback riding.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

If you're into photography, the lighting on the rocks in the morning is better, and it would be cooler. I try not to hike in the middle of the day if possible, but if you're on a horse I guess it wouldn't be as bad. Either way, it will still be cooler than in Zion/Springdale, no matter what time of year you go.

Warrenton, Virginia
Level Contributor
182 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

We just returned from two nights at the Lodge at Bryce Canyon and took the afternoon horseback/mule ride. This was in/around the 22nd of May and it snowed for over half the ride and the next morning it was 28 degrees; depending on when you are going the cold may not be a factor (although in our paper from yesterday Bryce had the low temp of 23 degrees. We enjoyed the afternoon ride despite the snow and cold). My suggestion would be to ride the mule (I guess because the mules seem better tempered and because the woman riding the spirited horse ahead of us got bucked off near the end of the ride; had never seen that in all the rides we have taken before; she may have been holding the reins too tight). For a nice hike, I would suggest hiking down the Navajo Loop Trail from Sunset Point and returning via the Queen's Garden Trail to Sunrise Point. The afternoon ride started after 1:00pm and we were back around 4:00pm. Halfway through the ride they stopped at pit toilets and had water, from a thermos jug to drink (I would suggest taking bottled water myself).

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
993 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

Hi

How far in advance do you have to book up the Mule/Horse Rides please?

Can this be done by email?

THanks

Orlando, FL.
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

I called just yesterday and booked the morning 3 hour horse ride for 4 people next week. Got exactly the day and ride that I wanted, though I'm sure it depends on demand. As always, the further in advance you plan, the more likely you will get want you want.

An alternative would be the horse rides offered by Ruby's Inn. They don't go into the National Park, but I would guess the scenery is pretty much the same.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

UtahorBust: Please don't pass along information you're not sure of! Do not assume that the scenery outside the national park is the same. It is very different. Be sure you take the trip inside the park! The hoodoos of Bryce are almost exclusively within the park's boundaries.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Bryce - hiking or hoseback ride?

I booked the half day afternoon ride from the Bryce Lodge on June 21st through www.canyonrides.com. Couldn't do the early morning drive from Springdale this time! I will let you know how it is when we return! Thank you all for your help.