We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report -Wonderful visit at a beautiful place !

tucson,az
Level Contributor
510 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
trip report -Wonderful visit at a beautiful place !

Our family (Mom (me) Dad, son (18) and daughter (15)) spent 2 days in Bryce last week and loved it ! We stayed in cabin 503 and I am so glad we did. It was comfortable, cozy and we used the fireplace when it was cool and rainy.

We missed the beautiful sunrises and sunsets because of cloud cover ( I made everyone get up at 6 am anyway) but only got a real downpour rain our last morning there.It was worth getting up early even without the effect of sunrise because it was so quiet and I felt like we had the canyon to ourselves.

We did the 2 hour mule ride in the morning and it was a great way to get down into the canyon. I would recommend it to everyone. The mules and horses are surefooted, our guide was attentive. and the scenery - just incredible !! We saw children (maybe 7 or 8 yrs old) also enjoying the ride. Price at $40/person was very reasonable.

Breakfast at the lodge was fair, but dinner was excellent. We ate trout,steak and pork and everyone cleaned their plates.

My husband and I did a couple hikes down into the canyon and because there were clouds the heat wasn't bad.

We stayed 2 nights which gave us plenty of time to see and experience the canyon. If we had been rushed for time, 1 night would have sufficed but we would have had to cut out the mule ride or some of our hiking. We left right after breakfast the 2nd morning and headed to Zion which allowed us a full day in Zion before checking into our hotel inside the park. My trip report continues on the Zion forum -

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report -Wonderful visit at a beautiful place !

Thanks for sharing your trip.

12 more days for us!

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report -Wonderful visit at a beautiful place !

Thanks for posting your report. I am thinking of going to Bryce & Zion next summer. We will fly into Salt Lake City. Just the planning stages now. I'll be traveling with my husband & teenage boys ages 17 & 14. I'm looking to see what else we can do in that area, any ideas? We've been to the Grand Canyon & Vegas.

tucson,az
Level Contributor
510 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report -Wonderful visit at a beautiful place !

glad you enjoyed the report. I dropped the ball and didn't write a TR for our Zion portion of the trip. We could have actually stayed longer at Zion if we had the time. We stayed at the Zion Lodge inside the park and definitely recommend it for convenience. Also if someone feels like hanging out in the room, getting up early, sleeping in - it's just a lot easier. Ask for a front room on the second floor and you will have a beautiful view from the porch. Depending if you are big time hikers or not there are a lot of hikes of varying degrees. The Narrows is very special but we couldn't do it this time because it had rained the day before and the area was closed due to flooding. If you are not afraid of heights and have the stamina Angel's Landing is suppose to be just incredible. Our family hiked to the 3 Emerald pools, Watchman trail, weeping rock, and the highlight for the kids was finding a deep pool in lower pine creek and jumping from the rocks above into the pool (I was a nervous wreck). Since my kids grew up in az there aren't many opportunities for that type of recreation so it was a big deal ! We also did some short hikes in the lodge area. THere is a special little hike I can tell you about if you decide to go.

Salt Lake City is quite a distance form this area so it might make more sense to fly into Las Vegas . There are a lot of areas in southern Utah we did not get to because oflack of time, so you may want to consider looking into Arches Natl Park,Canyonlands and the Grnd Staircase. I used the "Moon" book on Zion and Bryce - very helpful. Also a nice smallish college town is Flagstaff AZ (south of the Grand Canyon) - it's in the pines and very different from southern AZ.

Let me know if you want any other specifics.

Rebecca

4. Re: trip report -Wonderful visit at a beautiful place !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...