We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

Thanks in advance for your help!

My girlfriend and I will be traveling from Vegas to Zion and Bryce in early November. It looks like we'll have a little extra time on our drive back to Vegas. The option is to stay an extra night in Bryce and drive back the next morning...or leave the day before and travel south via the unpaved(?) roads to Kanab for the night.

Anyone have suggestions on this? Should we go by the pink cliffs down to Kanab or cut through the road that goes by grosvenor arch and cottonwood canyon to 89 and go through the Vermillion Cliffs? Any feedback on how long that might take too? Thanks.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

What are you driving? Cottonwood Canyon is unpaved and quite sandy in places, if there is any moisture about don't consider it.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

No idea. We'll have a rental car-economy. Might be a Mazda 6.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

Cottonwood Canyon is not recommended for rental cars and definitely not recommended for 2WD sedans like a Mazda 6.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3923674

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

Don't do it in a sedan. I went to Grosvenor Arch in a 4 wheel drive truck and the road was wet in spots. Lots of deep ruts and sliding around. Can't even imagine that road if it was really wet after a storm.I have heard it gets worse down toward the south end.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

ok, looks like it might be best to stay to the paved roads? What about the unpaved road that goes by the pink cliffs? Any better?

My goal is to make the most of the extra time we might have by hitting one more area before we head back to vegas. I guess continuing on west to Escalante might be an option too. If we take the highway from Bryce to Kanab, won't we just be backtracking the same area we came from Zion? Ideas? thanks

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

ok, looks like it might be best to stay to the paved roads? What about the unpaved road that goes by the pink cliffs? Any better?

My goal is to make the most of the extra time we might have by hitting one more area before we head back to vegas. I guess continuing on west to Escalante might be an option too. If we take the highway from Bryce to Kanab, won't we just be backtracking the same area we came from Zion? Ideas? thanks

By pink cliffs I'm wondering if you are talking about the Coral Pink Sand Dunes? They are nice, and the road is fine.

It is hard not to backtrack a little bit. It would certainly be easy to do one more hike in either Zion or Bryce.

Or you might want to make the trip up to Cedar Breaks. If you go north to Panguitch and take rte 143 past Panguitch lake and then on to Cedar Breaks cutting over to rte 14 you could spend the night in either Cedar City or St George. Another thing you might consider is heading northwest from St George and spend some time at Snow Canyon State Park. You could easily do both Cedar Breaks and Snow Canyon in an afternoon / morning combo. You could even take the old road US 91 from Snow Canyon back to Vegas. Not quite as scenic as the gorge, but nice still the same and not as busy.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

oops, sorry, didn't mean to leave your message in there,,,

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

Cedar Breaks sounds like a good idea. I've looked around and seen some talk of the roads being closed that time of year however.(early nov) Anyone know?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

Cedar Breaks can be closed. The visitor center will be closed but you can explore on your own. Last year begin of november there was no snow at all and Kbec can confirm because she also was there......Zion was a pleasant 75 in the daytime and we sat outside our hotel in St. George pretty late. But things might change of course and nobody can predict weather. If snow, also 143 will beclosed. Also see the Kolob Section of Zion off I15 between Cedar City and St. George. Amazing!

Tet

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Help-Bryce to Kanab Unpaved Road?

True, if you head over to Cedar Breaks and then I-15 the Kolob Section of Zions would be easy enough to visit as well. It is a quick worthwhile dead end drive, used to be a favorite picnic place of mine..

Snow in early november is always a possibility, however, if it shows up it doesn't usually stick around. I would doubt you'd have a problem with any of the roads being closed yet.

Ah, Tet, so nice to think you have fond memories :-)