We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

Day 7 – August 14, 2008 - Jet Boat Excursion down the Colorado River, Hell’s Revenge Sunset Tour

Last night was the best night sleep I’ve had thus far on this trip – I never sleep till I am woken up but this morning Gary woke me up at 7:30 – I am in shock that I slept so late. I jumped quickly in the shower and Gary did afterwards because breakfast was being served at 8:00 – YIKES! Today was a nice Frittata and fruit served outside on a long table most of the other guests at the Inn are from Europe, there is a family from Paris, a couple from Belgium, and another couple from Paris. We all enjoyed our breakfast together.

After breakfast we headed to downtown Moab to look in the shops and get some sandwiches from the Red Rock Bakery. Gary, Gerry, and Tanya all purchased Red Rock dirt shirts – these are shirts that are colored with the Red Rock mud in Moab.

We headed over to the Moab Adventure Center a bit early and find out the River Boat Excursion is actually with another company so after last nights trip I am a bit apprehensive. We waited for the bus to come pick us up to take us to the other end of town to catch the boat. I asked when I made our reservation if we could eat our lunch on the boat and they said yes but there is enough time to eat at some picnic tables at the boat place before boarding so that is what we did. The sandwiches were great from the Red Rock Bakery – Tanya and Gerry had BLTs and said they were good – Gary and I both had turkey and they too were very delicious everything was very fresh.

The four of us sat in the middle of the jet boat, our tour guide’s name is Rory and he is a native son of Moab. We are going to cruise 32 miles down the Colorado River stopping at vantage points along the way. Being a native of Moab and the river Rory is very knowledgeable. We all really enjoy this time on the river. It was interesting to know there is a fern grotto along the river which at the end of August they have a music festival and even bring a baby grand piano down on a jet boat into the grotto – you can’t see the full grotto from the river but Rory said it held about 400 people. The acoustics must be wonderful – I’d love to come back some day to listen to the music during the festival. We stopped along the way at different points as Rory pointed out other things along the river like the rock shape like an upside down hiking boot but also looks like a recliner chair with dad’s remote on the side. Then on the back side it looks like Yogi Bear. We saw people canoeing down the river also with all their camping gear in their boat that must be a fun excursion if you are in good physical condition which we are not!

We got back to the shore in time to catch the bus back to the Moab Adventure Center as we have an evening Sunset Hummer tour scheduled. I was hoping this would be a great sunset night but, there are a few but not many clouds in the sky and I was sure the others were just hoping this would be better than our excursion last night which was a waste of our time and money. The four of us decided to take the back seat of the hummer. I was scared to death as we descend up the trail called Hell’s Revenge! I can’t believe the rocks and the trails we climbed up it was a great ride even if I was scared half to death part of the time. I wanted to be sure Gary and Tanya had a good time on this trip so I planned things to do that I knew I wouldn’t necessarily care to do but they would greatly enjoyed. I’m a crazy Mom I guess but I love my family so off we went on up and down the slick rocks all over the out skirts of Moab on Hell’s Revenge. I’ll tell you I would never want to break down out there as I think I would never find my way out.

The hummers all stopped near an over look of the Colorado River, it was cool knowing we had spent the day on the river now we were looking down on it. Everyone got out and walked along the slick rocks enjoyed some refreshing cold water to drink and the hummer drivers took pictures of us overlooking the river. Next stop was our sunset destination. We are all enjoying our hummer ride. I was scared to death in a few spots but I seem to be doing better than I thought I would. As we stopped to watch the sunset and the moon rise across from the setting sun we enjoyed more water, cheese and crackers and candy bars. We hung out until the sun totally set then headed back out of Hell’s Revenge. Tanya claimed our driver was being easy on the way back because he knew I was scared part of the way, I think she was right but I really didn’t mind. I hate to go fast in a car but in the sand in a hummer was even scarier to me!

We were all pretty tired after our day of fun so we went back to our B & B and crashed for the night.

Day 8 – August, 15, 2008 - Arches National Park, Dead Horse State Park, Burgers at Hank’s Tavern, our drive to Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park, Dinner at Café Diablo

This morning I think all the driving has caught up with DH he has opted to skip breakfast for sleep. I don’t blame him I think so far we have put on something like 1400 miles on the car in the past 8 days – that’s a lot of driving.

Today’s breakfast was sausage with blueberry pancakes – again the breakfast was nice. We met some new people today from Canada and Paris. The couple from Canada drove straight through 16 hours to get here to go mountain biking for the next 3 days. They say they love the Moab area of Utah for that. The other couple from Paris, I think only the woman speaks English, told us about their trip so far, they said they went through Antelope Canyon thought it was nice but very crowded and expensive to do. Antelope Canyon was one of the things on my list but decided it would have to wait for another trip if there is another.

After breakfast we took our time getting ready to head out – today our destination is Torrey.

Before leaving for Torrey we did the driving tour of Arches National Park – unfortunately it appears to be one of those parks that is best scene on foot by hiking. DH and the BF did do the 1.5 mile round trip hike up to Delicate Arch, DD and I stayed below. We are pretty tired, I think the long days are catching up to us all but we are having the time of our life.

On our way out of town we took a detour out to Dead Horse State Park. Dead Horse State Park is a ledge above the Colorado River with a small inlet to a corral type looking ledge. According to Rory on our boat trip yesterday there are many stories of what happened here. It is a pretty view from here down to the river. I just wish the river was the green color you see in most pictures. Since it is August and not spring with all the run off from the mountains the river is a muddy brown color.

We headed out of town after visiting the park towards Highway 70 to get 24 to Torrey it should be about a 5 hour drive. We had plans on stopping in Green River to gas up and have lunch. I read about this place that made good burgers on trip advisor called Hank’s Tavern. Well let me tell you if I were alone I wouldn’t have stopped in Green River it looks like a ghost town. And Hanks looks like a real dive as described on line but the burgers were great. I think DD was a bit surprised I would go to place that looked like this. There was a small grocery store, which looked brand new down the street from Hanks so we picked up some charcoal here as we want to grill out tonight after picking up some steaks from Mesa Farm along our route. We gassed up close to the highway and continued on our way. I think DH was happy when the speed limit was 75 on the highway.

We head off down Route 24 from 70 in to what they call the badlands – is was quite desolate for some time, not very pretty as most of our previous route but very different almost a bit eerie as everything was very dark. We found the Mesa Organic Farm but they had no steaks so I picked up a couple of salads (which unfortunately froze in the cabins fridge - so they never got eaten) thinking we would find some steaks along the way. WRONG! Oh well.

As we turn a corner a bit down the road we are out of the badlands and enter the back side of Capitol Reef National Park – this park is a water fold it’s very rocky but pretty along this part of route 24. As we drive in to Torrey I am very impressed it is a beautiful little town, upon first impressions I want to move here. It’s so pretty, large fields with horses or cows grazing with the mountains in the back ground, my kind of town.

We finally find our Cowboy Homestead Cabins after asking for directions at Austin’s General Store where everyone seems very friendly. Upon arrival to the cabins we find a note on the office door that they had to leave for a bit but, the cabins are clean, opened and ready for us. These are very nice cabins, little log cabins with a little kitchen area, decent bathroom, and sleeping area.

Since we never found our steaks we wanted to grill, I decided we would splurge and go up to Café Diablo. People rave about this restaurant on Trip Advisor. Well the presentation of the food is beautiful but to me it was just regular food once you stated eating it. DH had the flank steak which he said was delicious, DD and her BF both had the pecan chicken which was they said was good, I had the ribs which really weren’t that great. This is how the story always goes though when we go someplace special I always get the okay or not so good meal. I will say the Firecracker appetizer which we tried first was great we all enjoyed it very much. It was chicken, shrimp and like a jalapeño fritter. There is a guy strumming a guitar while you eat playing some old 60’s music like Hendrix and the host sings with him too. The atmosphere here was great but I didn’t thing the cost of the food was worth what we paid. We did enjoy ourselves though so perhaps it was worth it.

After dinner we headed back to the cabins and relaxed for the rest of the evening.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

It's starting to sound like you did try to do too much in one trip. No wonder you're planning on moving (something we talk about a lot:))

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

None of us that took this trip think we did too much we filled our days with beauty and fun and hit the sack early every night to enjoy the next day - which we did every day.

Why do you think we did to much?

I feel more exhausted being back home!!!!

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

Only because it sounds exhausting reading it.

(and although it may have sounded that way, we weren't being critical)

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

Trust me it wasn't exhausting - yes we were tired by the end of the day and we did hit the hay earlier that at home but it was a good tired which I think makes all the difference.

My husband and I were just saying this afternoon that it was the best vacation we ever had one where you come home exhilerated and so in awe of nature and happy to live in such a beautiful country rather than exhausted and feeling we need a vacation from our vacation.

You will notice we did wind down at the end of our trip - when we get there!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,975 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

It does sound exhausting. I've been just about everywhere that you went on this trip, but I'd never attempt to do it all in your time frame. BTW, did I miss installment #5?

We loved Torrey too. But I don't think I could live there. On the first morning when I woke up, I thought I heard cattle. My dogs were barking. I looked out the door, and there was a cattle drive going right down the middle of the main road in front of our motel! Horses, cowboys, herding dogs, and about 150 head of cattle, and obviously no cars or trucks.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

"where you come home exhilerated and so in awe of nature"

Totally understand, our next Utah trip is only 106 days away.

port deposit, md
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

I love long trip reports. This has been the best reading. I can't wait for the rest of your trip reports. I have been to all these areas so I can see everything your talking about in my mind as I read.

Thanks so much!

Marsha

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

Redrox - no you didn't miss installment #5 - I think in my tiredness last night I miss numbered. Sorry.

Even after what you wrote about Torrey and the cattle drive its still my kind of town. I love a great rural country community.

Mip51us - thanks for the nice comments I'm glad you are enjoying our trip.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

You have to be very careful about that "thinking I might like to live there" stuff - it happened to me 4 years ago and now I hate to leave!

Surprised that the Chuckwagon didn't have steaks and sorry to hear the ribs weren't so good at Cafe Diablo - that's what I usually have there though I ask for the horseradish potato rather than the yam.

The cattle drive happens twice a year - up from the desert to the mountains in the spring and back again in the fall. Real cowboys on horses - what more could you ask for?

We had a camel - Fletcher - in the July 4th parade, not many places can say that!

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #6

I'd love to see the cattle drive.

And I'd love to more to Torrey - Hopefully we will be able to some day figure it out so we can.

But if not I hope to come back to explore some more. And I would definately stay at the Cowboy Homestead Cabins they were the best.

Actually I did see some steak at the Chuckwagon but it was late in the day and they looked pretty picked over. Next time!