We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canyon tour

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
canyon tour

Does anyone know of a 4/5 night tour from Las Vegas encompassing Hoover dam, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon - not walking (or only a bit at least). This is part of a month long holiday in September 2009 and we are in our 60's.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canyon tour

Hi

You might try: www.tourthesouthwest.com

Have you thought of driving yourselves?

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canyon tour

Hi. we will try TourtheSouthWest. We did consider driving but with nearly 700 miles though it was a bit much. We have looked at another tour company but the hotels look to be poor - although it would appear that none are really good in the National Parks.

Thanks

Joyce

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canyon tour

Hi Joyce

Re. driving. You can't compare European traffic to USA traffic. Las Vegas and around will be busy but most of the roads, wide and in excellent condition, are very easy driving. 4/5 days for Las Vegas-Zion-Bryce-Page (maybe also Monument Valley)-Grand Canyon-(maybe also Sedona)-Las Vegas will be short. You easily can spend all day in each NP and guided tours seldomly give you enough time to explore even if you are no hikers. You're visiting some of the most beautiful places in the world. Please take your time!

Tet

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canyon tour

Hi Tet. Thanks for that - you have reassured us about driving!!!!. I have looked at all your other posts and you are obviously knowledgeable about the area. Which route round would you take? Any suggestions of where to stay? None of the ones I have looked at appear exactly brilliant - we need comfort (though not necessarily "posh"). Clean bed, hot water and availability of fairly decent food are priorities. Our first time to the States. Our itinerary is

New York - 3 days

Fly to Los Angeles - 3 days

Fly to Las Vegas - 3 nights

4/5 days touring canyons etc.

Fly to San Francisco - 4 nights

Yosemite NP - 3/4 nights

Big Sur Coast - 2/3 nights

Fly home from LA

This means we are only hiring a car in blocks.

We went to South Africa earlier this year and spent an awful lot of time driving!!!

Joyce

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: canyon tour

You certainly can compare driving in SA with driving in the western USA (but the drive is on the "wrong" side of the road of course) but less potholes in America. SA's Karoo has similarities with the desert scenery in the USA and Blyde River Canyon is great but wait till you see Grand Canyon NP! Ok, which route would I take...

New York makes a great stop but you also could think of spending all of your time in the West and leave NYC for another visit. I also already would rent a car in Los Angeles. The LA area is huge and distances are long. I also would not want to go to Las vegas right after Los Angeles but make a LV stop later. This would be my prefered route:

Day 4: Arrive Los Angeles

Day 5: Los Angeles

Day 6: Los Angeles

Day 7: It's a long drive but I would bite the bullet and drive from LA to GCNP south rim. It's app. 8 hours and it's all on interstates except for the last hour which is on a very good flat 2 lanes highway.

Day 8: All day for GCNP

Day 9: GCNP to Monument Valley. Make stops on this route like in Cameron and maybe Navajo NM and explore Monument Valley.

Day 9: Monument Valley to Page. Visit Antelope Upper Canyon around midday and see Horseshoe Bend overlook and Lake Powell. Also a visit to Glen Canyon Dam is recommended.

Day 10: Drive from Page to Bryce Canyon NP. Stops along this route. It's 3 hours between Page and Bryce so you can see some of Bryce same day.

Day 11: Spend time for hiking a bit in Bryce and drive to Zion NP in the afternoon

Day 12: All day for Zion NP

Day 13: Drive from Zion to Las Vegas and visit Valley of Fire SP on your way.

Day 14 and 15 for Las Vegas

Day 16: Now you can deliver the car and fly to San Francisco. The drive via Death Valley, us395, Mono Lake and Tioga Pass to Yosemite NP and SF is one of the most scenic but it'll take 3 days to explore not counting the days for Yosemite NP. So:

Day 16: Flight to San Francisco

Day 17: San Francisco

Day 18: San Francisco

Day 19: San Francisco-Yosemite NP

Day 20: Yosemite NP

Day 21: Yosemite NP

Day 22: Yosemite NP to Monterey.

Day 23: Monterey: Whale whatching, Aquarium, Carmel, Point Lobos SR

Day 24: Monterey-Big Sur-Cambria.

Day 25: Cambria: Enjoy Moonstone Beach and visit Hearst Castle.

Day 26: Cambria to Santa Barbara

Day 27: Santa Barbara along the coast to Los Angeles.

Day 28: Home planning your next.

Stay shoter or stay longer at places, all up to you. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Tet

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: canyon tour

The thing about the distances is that it really doesn't matter too much whether you are driving or someone else, it is still a lot of land to cover.

I liked your itinerary. I enjoy New York and thought that would be an excellent beginning to your trip.

I'm not sure what kind of reviews you've been reading about lodging that would make you call it dismal. I haven't stayed somewhere without hot water since the early 60's when we stayed at the bare minimum fishing cabins in Yellowstone. Nowadays even the campgrounds have hot showers available.

I can't think of any hotels that wouldn't have the clean bed, hot water and decent food that you request.

I agree getting around LA will be difficult without a car. I can understand Tet's reasons for saying just drive from there to GC, what with the time to drop off the car and get to the airport and wait for take off etc, you could be half way to Las Vegas. If you do decide to take a driving holiday however remember the distances are huge. There is no getting around that. But they are for the most part wide open distances without distractions.

If you want to read a brilliant trip report from fellow countryman who recently returned from a long first time visit to the US start here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k228518…

You can click on his name and find the rest of his wonderful posts about their trip around to some of the same places.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: canyon tour

Thanks to you both. We have to consider all the options. My husband does not like driving on the right (actually it's more about sitting on the wrong side of a car!!) so I will probably do most of it. We have friends in LA so will be ferried around there for 2/3 days. However, we will look at driving to GC and going the route Tet suggests - my USA geography knowledge is not brilliant so I have to spend some time seeing where each place is!!

The stop-off in New York is principally to reduce the amount of time in flight - we did 12 hours to Cape Town and we hated it and as we have never been to the US we thought we ought to see NY.

All the posts I have looked at seemed to show that getting decent food in the National Parks was not easy. Is that not right? Any suggestions about where to stay appreciated.

Thanks a bunch

Joyce

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: canyon tour

Give you some hotels in the NP's etc.

Grand Canyon NP: El Tovar, Kachina Lodge, Thunderbird Lodge and Bright Angel Lodge are right at the rim. El Tovar is the classic parks hotel. Good food at El Tovar and Arizona Room near Bright Angel. The other hotels inside the NP are Maswik and Yavapai on a short distance of the rim. Just outside the NP lodging in Tusayan. Don't expect 4 or 5* accomodation.

Monument Valley: Goulding's Lodge and The View Hotel are your best optiobs close to MV.

Page: Courtyard by Marriot is the best hotel imo. Lake Powell resort is close to the lake. Many other hotels in Page.

Bryce: Best is to stay inside the park at Bryce Canyon Lodge. Very rustic. Just outside the park is Ruby's Inn and also many other basic hotels and some good B&B in Tropic close by.

Zion: Springdale has lots of hotels. Desert Pearl Inn is among the best.

Las Vegas: 100s of hotels. Maybe splurge at the Venetian or Bellagio but options are countless.

San Francisco: Also here so many choices

Yosemite: We always stay outside the park so can't tell you about lodging here.

Cambria: Try a hotel on Moonstone beach.

You'll find tons of good restaurants on your trip, no worries about it. We almost never had bad meals even not in small towns in family restaurants.

Make your reservations for accomodation esp. for GCNP and Yosemite far in advance. September still is a busy month. Buy an America the Beautiful pass at the entrance of your first NP at $ 80,-- valid car and passengers for all NP's and NM's and also other places (not for State Parks) Saves you money.

As Kbec has said, read the 22 posts of Ray (Sommersetboy). Although its memory lane to us, regular posters, it can be a bit confusing though but his writing style is brilliant. Btw, I also gave Ray some hints....And as you prob enjoyed Garden route you will like hw1 along pacific coast and both Cape Town and San Francisco belong to the most beautiful cities in the world.

Tet

9. Re: canyon tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...