We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

N.J.
Level Contributor
130 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

Hi,

We are a family of five - (boys ages 15, 12, and 9) plus two adults. We are going to travel in late August.

Plans so far are:

Fly into Las Vegas from Philadelphia

Spend three or four nights in Henderson to see sights around Las Vegas including the Hoover Dam

We have reservations at

Bryce Canyon Lodge 8/25

Zion Canyon Lodge 8/26

Grand Canyon National Park - El Tavor 8/27

All reservations are made as we found limited rooms that would sleep a party of five in each of these places.

Leave Grand Canyon on 8/28 and spend 4 mights or so in Sedona before flying back home out of Las Vegas (may have to spend another night in Henderson depending on what time our flight leaves)

I have read some reviews of the lodges at both Zion and Bryce Canyon and I am a little frightened by what I read. I don't mind on TV, no coffee maker....... I don't want dirty sheets, mice in my room .........

I looks like it is about a five hour trip from Henderson to Bryce.

I am trying to decide what time to leave Bryce on 8/26 and head over to Zion.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

The lodges in the parks are well maintained,I would not worry about things like that.

The trip from Vegas to Zion is three hours, then another two to Bryce.

One note, it gets hot in Zion in August,and with kids you may want to stay in Springdale at a hotel with a pool.Or they could wade in the river.

The rest of the trip sound good.The El Tovar is a cool place.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

You may want to drop a day in Vegas and stay another night in Zion.One day there is too short.

A fun day trip from Vegas is to take the smooth water raft trip from Hoover Dam to Willow Beach down the Colorado.Or you can drive to Willow Beach(14 miles south of the dam)rent a motorboat and drive up the canyon to just short of the dam.Really pretty trip, with a couple of hot springs to look at and remnants of catwalks bolted to the canyon walls used during dam construction.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
688 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

I too would suggest dropping a day or even two in Vegas and adding that day to Zion and/or Bryce. Too me the parks are so much more interesting than Vegas.

Be aware that Zion will be very hot in August. We were there in June of 2007 and the daytime temps were in the upper 90s to low 100s. The temps later in the summer were several degrees warmer.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

I agree with the others try to stay two nights in Bryce and Zion otherwise you won't really be able to get the feel for the two very different parks.

May I also suggest a Mule/Horse ride in Bryce - its one you won't soon forget and your boys will talk about it for a long time. It was one of our favorite things we did on our trip.

Have a great time. You will definitely want to come back to the area again to spend more time.

N.J.
Level Contributor
130 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

Thank you all for your advice. I was trying to use free nights at a Homewood Suites in Henderson - thought there were some good day trips out of that area but I have been second guessing myself and I have thought about adding another night to Zion. I would have to mix it up and do one night at Zion, one at Bryce, and one back at Zion before heading to the Grand Canyon because the lodge at Bryce Canyon did not have a room to fit five for the night of the 26th.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,765 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

Have you looked at Ruby's Inn? It is right at the entrance to the Park and very convenient. It is a Best Western and sometimes the word that best describes it is hectic, but I have found it perfectly acceptable and it has a pool as well.

It would make a little more sense to get to Zion's first rather than after Bryce, but not enough to worry about it.

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

I noticed that we need to expect temps in the 90s - 100 during the day. What will they be at night?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

Usually mid 60 maybe 70.Real nice evening temps.

9. Re: Would love some advice for our trip in August 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 09:23