We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion or Bryce National Parks

Harrisburg, PA
3 posts
Save Topic
Zion or Bryce National Parks

My husband and I are planning to hit the road for some major sightseeing in Utah and Arizona. We will be leaving Salt Lake City on a Friday and are not sure to head to Bryce National Park or Zion National Park. We will only need a 1 night stay as we will tour then head down to Grand Canyon in AZ. Which is nicer and more accomodating for lodging, Bryce or Zion.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion or Bryce National Parks

Welcome to the forum

For some major Ut. sightseeing you should not miss either of them. They are completely different and only 2 hours from each other. Drivingtime from SLC app. is the same. If you start very early you could visit Bryce first for a very brief visit and drive to Zion then. Zion to GC south rim (?) will be a bit shorther than from Bryce. The choices between Zion and Bryce almost always is 50/50 on this board. If you really only have one night and don't want to visit them both I'd pick Zion and stay Springdale for lodging. Springdale is at the south entrance of

Zion. Maybe try Desert Pearl Inn.

Tet

Harrisburg, PA
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion or Bryce National Parks

thanks for the info, we may very well do both, we will look at Springdale for night accomodations. What direction are you referring to for Bryce to be approximately 2 hrs from SLC, everything I see is a 4 hr trip.

thanks again

Harrisburg, PA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion or Bryce National Parks

thanks for the info, we may very well do both, we will look at Springdale for night accomodations. What direction are you referring to for Bryce to be approximately 2 hrs from SLC, everything I see is a 4 hr trip.

thanks again

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,697 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion or Bryce National Parks

I would visit both parks.They are relatively close to each other,and very different.

The two hours Tet was referring to was the time between Bryce and Zion.

As for lodging,Springdale(Zion) has a lot more options.Way better restaurants too.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion or Bryce National Parks

It would be a shame to visit Zion and pass by Bryce when they are so close together. Stay in Springdale and allow a day, if possible, for Zion. You can then leave Zion, stop by Bryce and make it to Grand Canyon in a day. If your plans allow an overnight in Bryce, the sunset, stars and sunrise will be well worth it.

BTW, I'm curious what your plans are for Grand Canyon?

Have a wonderful trip!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion or Bryce National Parks

I like the plan where you drive first to Bryce ( about 4 hrs from SLC), see what you can then take the 2 hr drive to Springdale and stay there. See Zion the next day for as long as you have time for then on to GC.

You definitely have more options in Springdale than near Bryce for lodging and food.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion or Bryce National Parks

It's like Rolling Stones or the Beatles? They are both great places, completely different, and so close that you should see both. I was just there, and had saw so much wonderful stuff I am ready to go back now. Dont rush too much, there is too much to see.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zion or Bryce National Parks

"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" lol

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zion or Bryce National Parks

Excellent analogy, PA19 (although I would take the Beatles over the Stones). As for the choice between Zion and Bryce, I concur with the previous folks that suggest doing both. Do Bryce as the "drive by" as you can get a lot of the flavor that way, then on to Zion for the night and the next day. You won't regret hitting both parks as they are each very special places.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,419 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zion or Bryce National Parks

Well, if you really only have time for a "drive-by" at Bryce, then you really MUST go back there on another trip to hike down into the canyon!!! I never tire of doing that. It's magic.

Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...