We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trousers for Mule Ride?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Trousers for Mule Ride?

Friends, have told me I need to wear long trousers for the mule ride [at least going past the knee], is this right? -- To prevent chafing

We've never rode horses before, so don't really know. Also won't it be hot, wear jeans in July riding a mule, we're doing the 8am ride. Would i be alright wearing cargo/utility shorts, just above the knee. I wasn't planning packing long trousers, yet alone jeans.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trousers for Mule Ride?

As someone who has been riding for about 45 years now, I would *never* ride in shorts. Human skin and saddle leather don't mix very well, IMO.

However, Bryce will not be "hot" - average temps in July are around 75ºF / 24ºC. It is at high altitude about 2,450 meters. Nights are not warm, so you should bring long pants [trousers] for the evening.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trousers for Mule Ride?

I agree with h-B. Wear long britches when riding, you will be much more comfortable while riding. Pack at least one pair of jeans/long pants for the ride and for the cooler temps you will see at BC in the evening and morning. You won't regret it.

Edited: 22 June 2010, 03:52
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trousers for Mule Ride?

Ok thank you, do you think cargo/utility shorts, just above the knee, would be alright?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trousers for Mule Ride?

In my experience, you will want coverage the full length of the leg. I have never seen DW wear anything but long pants while riding, and I always wear jeans (unless I have my cavalry trousers on...note the avatar).

North Carolina
Level Contributor
213 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trousers for Mule Ride?

I did the 8am ride and wore jeans (but that was in late May). The jeans got extremely dirty, I would recommend bringing an old pair of jeans or pants, just for the ride.There is a laundromat at Bryce, but my hubby had finished doing laundry when I returned from riding. Yes, he chose doing laundry over doing a mule ride!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,902 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trousers for Mule Ride?

Long Pants! Long Pants! Long Pants!

They don't have to be jeans, just long.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trousers for Mule Ride?

You absolutely HAVE TO wear long pants/jeans when horseback riding. Look at photos of people sitting on horses with western-style saddles and you'll see that there are opportunities for serious holiday-ruining chafing from the ankle all the way up. There are very good non-fashion reasons that cowboys wear heavy jeans and leather boots. I grew up riding horses and believe me when I tell you it would be a serious mistake not to wear long trousers on this ride. You will not get hot at Bryce's high altitude and your tender inner thighs and calves will thank you.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trousers for Mule Ride?

> We've never rode horses before, so don't really know. <

So Emma, you now have several answers from folks who *do* know!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trousers for Mule Ride?

Long denim jeans.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trousers for Mule Ride?

Now I need to find a pair of long pants, that I don't mind getting dirty. Do they have to be fitted? i.e. no baggy trousers?

Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...