We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Byway 12 to Salt Lake City

Rutherford...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Byway 12 to Salt Lake City

Hi,

I am planning to stay at Bryce Canyon overnight in a day or so and then travel from there to Torrey using Byway 12 and then onto Salt Lake City via Aurora on Highway 50 and Interstate 15.

A couple of questions:

1. Can this be easily done in one day?

2. If the weather is wet, is Byway 12 an easy road to drive on?

As I am from Australia, driving on the 'wrong' side of the road is a bit of a challenge, a wet, slippery road will not help matters.

For your information, I planned by trip based on input from the TripAdvisor community and it has been a very pleasurable experience.

Regards,

Steve

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Byway 12 to Salt Lake City

If you start early, don't stop too long for any scenery and don't get stopped by construction traffic going through Utah County (Provo/Orem area), then yes, you can drive it in a day.

I wouldn't drive any of it myself if it were snowing. Wet/rainy, I wouldn't worry too much, just slow down. The road goes over Boulder mt (just north of the town of Boulder) and that is where any snow may show up.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Byway 12 to Salt Lake City

Drive slowly over Boulder Mountain and take in all the fall colors. Pull over if traffic gets heavy behind you. Driving in the correct lane shouldn't be that much of a problem the traffic won't be that heavy.

Watch for cattle on the road! I saw bunches when I was there a couple of weeks ago~

The drive from Torrey to I-70 on Hwy 24 is almost as spectacular as Boulder Mountain, and again not much traffic.

I wouldn't take a different route than what you've selected, even if someone paid me. Highway 12 is THAT special! :)

Have a great trip!

*Pixie*

Edited: 02 October 2011, 15:47
Rutherford...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Byway 12 to Salt Lake City

Thank you so much for your advice. It was a spectacular trip - so many changes in such a small time period.

As I am a man from 'downunder' where snow is rare and had experienced CA, NV and AZ just before this drive, I thought the comment about snow was unusual. A few days after it snowed on Boulder, to my amazement.

Thanks again.

Steve

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Byway 12 to Salt Lake City

Glad you were able to enjoy the scenery.

Glad you were able to see snow but it didn't slow you dowm :-)

5. Re: Byway 12 to Salt Lake City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 01:22
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...