We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

Braintree...
14 posts
Save Topic
Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

If you only had time to visit Bryce OR Zion which would you choose?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,005 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

Where are you coming from? How much real time do you have?

I am one of many who believes that part of the beauty of both is the striking contrast between the two in spite of the close proximity.

Zion needs more time. Bryce is more compact and easier to visit in a short time although it is generally farther away from everywhere.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,823 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

Good Lord, that's a hard one. The two parks are so beautiful, and so different. Take a look: Video re: Zion ->: http://youtu.be/jSlWi4DCKgc Video re: Bryce ->: http://youtu.be/BLG4IupSikc

Logistics make a difference, too. Knowing more about your full trip plan would help us advise you better. For example, where does this leg of your trip fall on your vacation itinerary? Are you coming from Las Vegas, Page (Lake Powell), Salt Lake City or Phoenix? If you are heading toward Las Vegas at the end of your trip, Zion is closer in proximity than Bryce, but if you're heading toward, say, Moab Utah, then Bryce would make more sense.

Tell us more....

Edited: 23 January 2012, 19:45
Braintree...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

Traveling by road from Vegas to Zion or Bryce then to Salt Lake City, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons then on to Mt Rushmore and Devil's Tower then home from Rapid City

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

My choice is Bryce hands down. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The color just takes your breath away.

Are you just passing through or spending the night?

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

Jerry,

THe next question is: how much time are you planning between leaving LV and attiving in SLC??? OR, is there any slack in you overall trip?

If you chose Bryce, probably the best way to get there is through Zion. If you chose Zion, you could pass through there and head up rt 89 and eventually rt 15. THen Bryce isn't really too much of a detour.

At a minimum, you could leave LV early, go to Zion and spend most of the day, head out and stay that night at Bryce or maybe Panguitch. Visit Bryce in the AM and then drive on up to SLC.

SO the answer is, visit both, even for 1/2 day each. You;ll see enough to make you come back!

Kevin

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

See, I'd pick Zion over Bryce hands down, but I agree it's really a shame not to do them both. Our whole family loved Zion. Loved Bryce, too, but Zion — whew! I'd pick Zion over most of the rest on your list.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

Since it is sort of on the way, you should see both.Like Kevin said, head up thru Zion on to Bryce.The two parks are so completely different, but a relatively short distance apart.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,770 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

If you look at the top questions on the Utah forum you will see this is one of them. check there for other discussions about this but here is a link to the first one: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28965-i411-k97902…

I'm with those who say no reason you can't do them both if all you are looking for is a quick visit. You can see the essential Bryce in a half day. You could even say the same about Zion, though there is more to do there if you have the time and inclination.

Kevin's suggestion would work just fine.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,005 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

Yes, you can see both with only a slight detour from your route. The fact is, you have plenty of time for both. You just have different priorities. Since night at Bryce is also dramatic, I'd follow dez's advice and drive through Zion on Rt9 and spend a night at Bryce.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 01:09
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which to visit, Bryce or Zion?

Long road trip, and parks close together and almost on your way.... I concur there is no reason you can't do both. You can leave Vegas in the morning get to Zion by lunch time, visit spend the night and get to Bryce the next morning... or even Bryce for the night. Get up for sunrise and a short visit and still be in SLC for a late dinner.

If it's in no way possible to spend a night then you need to choose the park that's less out of your way, Zion. OR the park that's quicker to visit, Bryce. Though of course a shuttle ride through Zion is better than nothing and wouldn't take too long.