We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra day after Bryce Canyon

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Extra day after Bryce Canyon

We'll be in Bryce Canyon this Saturday and Sunday and our plane isn't until Monday night. I know 3 days is a bit much in Bryce Canyon so was wondering what to do with the extra day. Half of us area heading to Vegas for a plan and the other half to salt lake city. What is there in Dixie Forrest? We would have already done Bryce and Zion so is there something interesting there?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra day after Bryce Canyon

If you're headed back to SLC, the drive up route 12 through Escalante is spectacular. Spend the night in Torrey, dine at Cafe Diablo. Drive to SLC in the morning. If you're going back to LAS, think about Page or Valley of Fire in Nevada. Three nights in Bryce is a bit much but plenty else in the region.

Have fun.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra day after Bryce Canyon

I don't know what you are driving or what the current road conditions are but Grosvenor Arch is pretty nice looking.Its down the dirt road past Kodachrome State Park.The area around Red Canyon has some great Mt biking trails and scenery too.

My absolute favorite in the area is Powell Point, which is the predominant landmark if you look north from Bryce.That is past Pine Lake(think Bryce orange cliffs with a lake)and up to the top. That is just a dirt forest road, and completely weather dependant.But the views are top notch.

Hwy 12 is an awesome drive up to Torrey.Calf Creek Falls,Burr Trail...

If you head back to Vegas, there is some fun local stuff too. Valley of Fire, Arizona Hotsprings trail to the CO river, Goldstrike Canyon hotsprings, the kayak/raft trip from Willow to Hoover or vice versa. Black Canyon below the dam is great. But below Glen Canyon Dam near Lake Powell has that beat. Consider the raft trip there.

www.raftthecanyon.com

The drive from Page back to Vegas is about 4.5-5 hours.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
962 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra day after Bryce Canyon

Dixie National Forest is well worth your time and I strongly recommend at least a quick stop in Red Canyon, especially if you're not up to the Fairyland or Peekaboo trails in Bryce. Stop at the Visitor's Center, part of which you might recognize from a Utah tourism commercial a few years back (the section of red rock with a small tunnel through highway depicted in the bonus National Park cancellation stamp at the Visitor's Center) to figure out what you want to do. My cousin and I only had time for the short Pink Ledges trail behind the Center to see some great hoodoos, but from what I read there are several trails and the area could take up a good part of a day if you want it to.

4. Re: Extra day after Bryce Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...