We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spot My Itinerary For Me

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Spot My Itinerary For Me

Hello,

I am planning a trip for myself, husband, seven year old son and my in-laws.

I am posting on this forum just because it is a trip that includes Bryce, so I hope it is okay.

Here is our plan so far:

10/24 fly into Phoenix drive to Cottonwood Az.

spend three nights in Cottonwood to include visits to Montezuma, Blazin M (for the seven year old) Sedona, Red Rock State Park.

10/27 Leave and take a long way up to Tusayan Az. Long drive to include parts of Route 66.

10/28 tour Grand Canyon full day

10/29 Head to Page Az.

10/30 Wake up spend a couple hours at the Antelope Canyon outside of Page before heading off towards Bryce Canyon actually staying in Mount Carmel Ut between the two national parks.

Now this is something I am having a hard time deciding. I have reservations for a hotel that basically puts us in between Bryce and Zion. I cant decide on whether to actually drive all the way to Bryce on 10/30 and spend 10/31 seeing Bryce before going to Zion. If I stay at the hotel between the two it is an hours drive up to Bryce and back then Zion the next day..

If you can follow that. Anyway. Below is how I have it scheduled for now.

10/31 Visit Bryce Canyon

11/1 Zion National Park

11/2 Drive to Las Vegas or to Overton NV where the Valley of the Fire State Park is.

11/3 if in Vegas go to Valley of the Fire State Park as a day trip. If we have stayed night in VOF then we do the park then travel to Vegas.

11/4 Day trip to Hoover rest of the after noon enjoy hotels and food in Vegas.

11/5 Fly Home

Suggestions????

Thanks in advance. Link below to the trip. Hope it works.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=210522179424800202162.0004df96cd7a08e3f3041&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=35.497291,-113.307924&amp;spn=4.085862,3.690548&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&amp;msid=210522179424800202162.0004df96cd7a08e3f3041&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=35.497291,-113.307924&amp;spn=4.085862,3.690548&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">The West</a> in a larger map</small>

Edited: 15 August 2013, 02:15
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spot My Itinerary For Me

That link doesn't work here is the real one.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,799 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spot My Itinerary For Me

I question the wisdom of your choices for lodging. Why Cottonwood? It's a half hour commute to where you really want to be in Sedona. If you have family there and are staying with them, I understand. Otherwise, whatever perceived savings you think you'll have with lodging will be wasted in fuel and time on the commutes.

Same with the Bryce and Zion compromise, but ten fold. The commutes will be over an hour to each park. With both Bryce and Zion the best times of day are at dusk and dawn. You won't be there for either at either park. Stay at Rubys Inn for Bryce and in Springdale for Zion. If you're worried about packing and unpacking an extra time, you're probably planning to carry more than you need.

There is no lodging in VOF, however Overton will be closer to that destination than any of your other lodging choices (save Page).

Those are my first impressions.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spot My Itinerary For Me

Hi Sunshine welcome out west. Should be a little different than Gainsville. I would agree to stay in Bryce to see a sunrise and the night skies and then travel to stay in Zion. I think you will want an extra day in Zion too. Having only one seems very quick to me. It's great to see the canyons, but it's better to experience the colors of the rock formations changing with the morning and evening lights.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spot My Itinerary For Me

I would try to stay near each park to avoid the commute and be there for sunset/sunrise.

If you are going to Page, you can see Glen Canyon Dam. Almost as big as Hoover, less crowded and less expensive to tour. Also has a bridge in front of it, like Hoover.

If you still want to see Hoover, you can combine it with Vof F and drive along Northshore Road on Lake Mead over to the dam.There are cafes at Callville Marina(on land) and Las Vegas Boat Harbor(floating cafe on docks).

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spot My Itinerary For Me

What parts of R66 do you want to include?

We once did what you want to do. We stayed at Best Western Thunderdird Lodge in Mt Carmel Junction (nothing wrong with that hotel though) and visited Zion and Bryce from there. But driving in the dark is very dangerous because of the wildlife on the roads in that area. Even in the daytime you'll have to pay attention. For that reason I also would recommend to stay Bryce and Zion instead in between.

Tet

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spot My Itinerary For Me

@ RedRox : No reason especially for Cottonwood. Actually we were thinking of Camp Verde. But only because we are going to be driving around that whole area. Sedona was quite a bit higher in hotel rates.

But I see your point. I also am thinking that staying in Bryce is the best choice for the one night after Page. Then that evening drive down to Zion and stay a night. I think if we cut out a night in Vegas to be one night we could have more time in the Zion area. We really have no desire to spend a lot of time in Vegas.

@ dez40: I was thinking exactly what you said about combining VOF and Hoover dam. We can't do the tour inside because my Father in Law has a pace maker. So we will just do the outside tour thing. It shouldn't take a long time then head to Vegas for a one night stay.

But overall does it all look doable? I would love to add two more days but my husband doesn't have the vacation time. :-( So we are doing the best we can with the time we have.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,799 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spot My Itinerary For Me

Good idea to dump a night at LV to gain one at Zion.

Give us a budget for your Sedona lodging. There are plenty of places in Sedona for well under $100 per night. It's one thing to drive around the area while you're visiting. It's something else to have to drive back to someplace that's further away at the end of a long day. The fresh air and higher elevations will wear you out. You will want to be ack near your digs when the sun begins to end the day. That's a time to relax, not to load up and drive for a half hour.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 20:29
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spot My Itinerary For Me

RedRox:

Thanks so much for your input. Much appreciated.

Our budget for hotels is preferably the $120 range per night and less if possible.

I think I have come up with a firm itinerary:

Thursday 10/24 Arrive in Phoenix at 12;30 MT pick up car drive to Sedona area for a three night stay.

sights to include Montezuma, Red Rock State Park, stuff for my kid, breweries if available for my husband, wineries for me, whatever else. No specific plans.

Sunday 10/27 Leave early enough to drive towards Tusayan AZ and stop off in Seligman, AZ experience Route 66. Day of banging around in car basically. Arrive in Tusayan for a two night stay.

Monday 10/28 Grand Canyon. Trying to look into a tour to get the most out of our visit.

Tuesday 10/29 Leave early to make our way to Page, AZ. One night stay.

Wednesday 10/30 Get up leave for a tour through the Antelope Canyon then head off to Bryce Canyon for a two night stay.

Thursday 10/31 all day for Bryce Canyon. Sunrise, sunset anything else to enjoy there.

Friday 11/1 Leisurely drive down to Zion National Park for two night stay.

Saturday 11/2 all day for Zion to include a little hiking tour into The Narrows or Subway whichever isn't too difficult or long for a seven year old. Not sure looking into it.

Sunday 11/3 pack up drive towards Overton, NV to stay one night. See sunset in Valley of Fire.

Monday 11/4 Get up leave early enough to bang around VOF and off to Hoover Dam to at least see and get pics what ever else you do there.

Head into Vegas. Priority in Vegas: Bellagio fountains and a good dinner. Probably going to stay at the MGM Grand, Bellagio was too much. Although, I may not book right now because they have deals and the deals aren't out right now for that time frame.

11/5 Fly home.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,799 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spot My Itinerary For Me

You can find plenty of places to stay in Sedona for less than $120. Look at Wildflower or Desert Quail in VOC.

Seligman is NOT on the way from Sedona to GCNP. The detour will require 2-3 hours of your time. Not a good idea IMO. Choose to stop in Williams instead. Like Seligman it is an old railroad town that thrived on RT 66. Now it serves as the exit from I-40, making it the gateway to the GCNP, though still over an hour away from the park. The town has also preserved some of the RT 66 kitsch and charm, for you, without a detour.

No tours needed at GCNP. It's probably the easiest of all the major national parks to self tour, and best done that way. Read trip reports, links and advice here at TA to learn how to dedicate your time there. Also use the GCNP website for a complete overview. The information on the website will all be provided to you in newspaper form at the gate when you enter the park.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spot My Itinerary For Me

Seligman is 40 miles east of Williams and same distance back. Drive from VoF to Hoover app takes 2 hours and most scenic is to drive Northshore road more or less along Lake Mead.

Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...