We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bryce Canyon in April?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Bryce Canyon in April?

Hello! My husband and I are planning an anniversary trip to Zion and Bryce Canyon National Park. Currently we are thinking about spending a week between the two parks in mid-April. We love to camp, but have never backpacked before. A couple questions for everybody:

1. Would mid-April be a good time of year to visit? I am hoping to be able to see wildflowers blooming, and hike as many trails as we can.

2. Recommendations for camping/lodging? It seems as though many of the campsites are first-come, first-serve. This makes me a bit nervous as we are traveling from Kansas City and I'd like to have a bit of a plan before we arrive. Would the campsites be packed by this time?

3. Any thoughts as to how many days to spend at each park? From what I've read, I get the feeling that Zion has more trails to offer than Bryce Canyon.

Thanks!

1. Re: Bryce Canyon in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 22:07
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bryce Canyon in April?

In my opinion, April is still winter at Bryce. The first link that gars provided should include the historical average temperatures for the park region on one of the pages. Might be the best idea to try for a room at either Rubys Inn or www.brycecanyongrand.com The rates should still be low as the peak season doesnt start until late may. The in park lodge I believe is reopened by April as well www.brycecanyonforever.com

A good chunk of the trails should still be snow bound in April as well, but the Bryce classics will be beaten down by previous visitors, but expect lots of mud.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,933 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bryce Canyon in April?

Mid April would be a great time to visit. I've been to Bryce in March and April many times over the years (once the same year) and the difference between the two times was amazing- March still definitely winter, and April the snow is melting, the trails are muddy. It does depend on weather which can be completely different year to year depending on snow storms and snow amounts. But for the most part you should be able to do all you want in April at Bryce. There will be mud most likely, but no flowers. I'd plan two days there. One for the main amphitheater area and the other for the scenic route, and other outliers like Mossy Cave and Fairyland. Since you have a full week you might want to use Bryce as a base take one day to travel hwy 12 up to Boulder and back. Beautiful drive, you could explore Calf Creek and maybe Hole in the Rock road to Devil's Garden.

Zion in April is my favorite time of year. THe trees are turning green, the water falls are full, it might still be too early for flowers but you should have some, especially if the winter was mild.

You should be able to do all the trails in Zion's main canyon. The Narrows might be a maybe depending again on snowmelt. Get drysuits that time of year to keep warm. The higher trails such as West and East Rims might have snow but most people don't do those anyway so it wouldn't affect your own plans.

April camping spots are more weather dependent. If it is a weekend and the weather looks good you might have more locals out due to cabin fever. Anymore I like to have a campsite reserved rather than take a chance I won't get one. There just aren't too many alternatives. But arriving early (by 9 or 10) and not on a weekend or holiday your chances will go up for snagging a spot. (Last time we took a last minute trip to Zions and didn't have a camp spot arriving late afternoon, we tried three different places without luck and finally ended up on BLM land without facilities...so I still do it occasionally, but experiences like that do tend to make me more shy about my chances.... on the other hand I've shown up in Yellowstone and along the Oregon Coast the last couple years, arriving at night and been able to find spots... you just never know.)

4. Re: Bryce Canyon in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 07:17