We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

Hey all!

We are planning to spend a holiday weekend at Bryce. (Never been there before!)

Anyway, due to work scheduling and such, the choices for extended holiday weekends that we have are: Memorial Day, 4th of July (it falls on a Friday this year), and even Labor Day I suppose. Though we would rather go before September.

Based on past experiences, which is "best" in terms of crowds, etc etc. We know to expect lots of crowds either time, but were hoping to hear some feedback from those who have been there during these times!

Thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

Since all those will be three day weekends, expect the crowds to be a little larger than an average two day weekend. I don't think the weekend you pick will make much difference. But maybe consider,most kids will be back in school in September (Labor Day) so some families may be done with vacations by then. The other dates, kids might be just getting out of school and vacations just starting.

I have been at Zion the day after Labor Day a few times, and it was pretty quiet.

You might want to look at the NPS site and see if there are any night sky programs near each weekend date.

The night sky programs are worth building a vacation around.Either dark sky or full moon.

www.nps.gov/brca

Edited: 03 February 2014, 21:26
Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

Dez40,

Thanks for that advice!

Yeah, we love to stargaze. We'd probably choose a dark sky over a full moon.

I wonder if maybe 4th of July weekend, most people are sort of home having a BBQ in their backyards? Possibly not as busy as Memorial or Labor Day. Like you said, Labor Day, most kids are already getting ready to go back to school.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

No one else has been there during a holiday weekend...?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

The weather will definitely be warmer on July 4th than Memorial Day. I'm only guessing but I think for that reason alone July 4th will have more crowds than Memorial Day.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

Where will you be staying in each case? Camping? Typically, I'd expect larger crowds on the Fourth of July than on Memorial Day, especially in Bryce, with its high elevations (and possibly some remaining snow). Labor Day may be best, especially the week after. Too early to see Fall colors. About 4 years ago, we were going to Zion in late October, and hotels were booked solid due to autumn colors and opening of hunting season in surrounding areas. We found a room at the lodge. The lodge may cost more than hotels in Springdale, but we enjoyed staying right in the park, especially late in the day after the last shuttle to Springdale had left, and in the morning, before the first one arrived.

While Zion may be rather warm over Fourth of July, I'd expect Bryce (and the North Rim of the GC should you add that) to be comfortable.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 19:00
Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,239 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

I'll have to admit that I have never been to the parks on a holiday weekend. When I have the chance, as a local, I'll go south in the spring or lately a little bit in the fall. During summer holidays I'll be more likely to head to the mountains for the cool air, or to a lake rather than the parks. I think that might be true of many locals. Though now I think about it we did visit there last year the week after Memorial Day and found the crowds very manageable. The parking lots were pretty full and it was hard to find a spot, but we were there later in the day and things seemed to be better. The shuttle works pretty well there as an alternative.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

Bryce lodge still shows openings for the Fourth of July weekend, but you should book soon if you want to stay there.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

We went last year on Labor day weekend and the crowds were not bad at all. We were surprised. Something to think about in making your decision there is a predicted meteor storm for May 24. Whether it happens or not will have to wait and see but we are going back just in case. Even if it doesn't produce we will be on another wonderful vacation

9. Re: Bryce -- Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend??!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:19