We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

Hi everyone!

We will be visiting Bryce Canyon in early October this year. We would love to camp, but I am unsure of what the weather will be like. Any advice?

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,902 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

I also cannot tell you what the weather will be. However October is a nice time to visit. Bryce will be cold at night that time of year. If you get a storm it will be colder.

Check

bryce.canyon.national-park.com/weather.htm

and

weather.com/weather/…USUT0030

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

I camped in Bryce in August one year and froze. It was 40 degrees at night. I would think October would be a lot colder, you could even get some snow.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

How tough are you??

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

We were there over Thanksgiving a couple years ago, and it was -5 degrees at night, snow on the ground, and people were camping!!! As much as I love camping, I have a "temperature must be above freezing" rule, which in October at Bryce could be dicey. I would think that the peak season would be slowing down by then so you could probably shop around for a pretty low-cost hotel, if you decided to forego the camping. I've even pricelined the nice Best Western Grand for about $75 a night, and it included a pretty nice, hot breakfast. Good luck either way!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

Camping in early October could still be really nice. Take into consideration you'll be at 8000 ft of elevation. So even if you have nice temperatures during the day, it will go below freezing during the night. I'd make sure my sleeping bag is rated no less than 15 degrees. I'd have plenty of layers for the evening too. including gloves and and a stocking type hat. I've camped there in the spring with some snow patches still on the ground. The nights were chilly but the night was beautiful and the stars were amazing.

If there happens to be a storm front coming thru, all bets are off! You never know what you might get.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

A double-high air mattress also will get you further off the ground, making a noticeable difference. Bring a down comforter for the top of the air mattress over the foam pad and sleep in your cold-rated sleeping bag on top, with blankets over the sleeping bags. Layering at night is as useful as during the day.

If you get a queen size double-high, you'll want at least a four-man tent and a six-man tent will allow you room to walk around the double-high.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

Tet, if you're refering to me, obviously not very tough. :-) Don't forget, I'm a desert girl, I don't do cold very well at all. So yes, I froze with 40 degree temps. It was my first (and only) time camping at Bryce so I didn't have a very warm sleeping bag, and I didn't even bring a jacket. Coming from Las Vegas in August it never occurred to me that it's not blazing hot everywhere that time of year.

USA
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

Oct is a lovely time to camp, but you have to prepare for it in terms of the cold at night. The days will be beautiful. Warm sleeping bag, insulate pad under your air mattress, heavy jacket, long underwear, hat, gloves, etc. You should be warm when sleeping, and it will warm up in the day.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping in Bryce Canyon in October

I'm too old for tentcamping anywhere Ziggy -lol-

Reply to: Camping in Bryce Canyon in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...