We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 UTand motorcycles

Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
12 UTand motorcycles

Hi,

Anyone have advice on what would be nice to drive, where to stop and what to avoid while travelling from Zion to Capital Reef on motorcycles.We are travelling the first week of May.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 UTand motorcycles

Check out scenicbyway12.com!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 UTand motorcycles

You pretty much have no choice but UT 12 from Bryce to Capitol Reef and what a treat it is, one of the best motorcycle roads in the country!

If you have time take a side trip down the Burr Trail from Boulder, it goes through a lovely canyon, the pavement ends just after the canyon but it is well worth doing each way and you don't want to miss the rest of UT12 anyway.

Another great moto road in the area is UT 72 which goes from Loa to I70, we call it Sweeper Madness, 30 miles of great riding. Turn round and come back south but take the Fish lake turn and go back to UT24 that way (all of this paved despite what the AAA maps say)

These recommendations assume you like twisty roads.

You can see pictures from many of the local roads here

http://www.bobpalin.com/torreytales

If you are going to be in the Capitol Reef area for a few days or even have a spare day get in touch with me, I love to show people the back country in my truck or go for a ride (I have a BMW R1150RT amongst others)

Bob Palin

moto@bobpalin.com

Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 UTand motorcycles

Thanks for the helpful info, especially about what is paved. We do like the side trips but have found it hard to figure out what is paved so thanks for that information.

Do you think we will find it busy as in touristy the first week of May,

We will keep you in mind if we have some time in Capital Reef.

Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 UTand motorcycles

Hi again, Do you have any advice on Death Valley as we are also heading that way from Las Vegas and then going on to Bryce area?

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 UTand motorcycles

It should be fine in may but it does start to get hot. I would skip Death Valley and spend more time in Bryce area. It's much more beautiful.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 UTand motorcycles

Death Valley is already quite hot by May and it is a huge area with few paved roads which means the rides tend to be rather long. I would agree that Bryce is more spectacular than DV but the latter remains one of my favourite areas, I was there just 10 days ago for probably the 20th time. In DV the "must not miss" places are:

Dante's View, which is up a windy narrow paved road, watch for gravel, and has spectacular views over the valley. It is also cooler than the rest of the park which is nice on a 100+ day, it was 22F last week.

Zabriskie Point, strange eroded formations.

Artist's Palette, bright mineral colours.

Badwater, lowest point in the western hemisphere.

All of those are easily seen in a single day's ride assuming you don't go hiking from them.

If you intend to stay in DV you should have reservations ahead of time, alternatives would be Beatty or Pahrump.

Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 UTand motorcycles

Thanks again, you are a great source of information. We have already booked in Furnace Creek. We will be staying 2 nights so that gives us a day and a half to tour around, the rest of the week will be in Zion to Capitol Reef area. Any special route you would recommend from Furnace Creek to Zion, we will be driving it in one day.

Kim

San Leandro...
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 UTand motorcycles

it's not a very long ride on the main roads. If you've got some time, do this:

Take I-15 to Cedar City

Take Utah 56 west into Nevada

Take US 93 south to the Extraterrestrial Highway (NV 318 and NV 375.) Visit Area 51 and Rachel, NV

Take US 6 east to US 95 south to Beatty, NV.

From there take Daylight Pass into the park.

Don't miss Death Valley. It might be hot but so what. It's beautiful and it's a great place to ride a motorcycle.

Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 UTand motorcycles

Thanks, sounds like that would be a nice trip but it looks a little long for one day.

10. Re: 12 UTand motorcycles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...