We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyonlands and Arches in February

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Canyonlands and Arches in February

Can anyone advise me about a trip I have planned? A friend and I will be driving up from Phoenix to Monument Valley, staying 2 nights, then planning to stay 4 nights in Moab. I have done this trip before, in March of 2007. I had a fantastic weather week then with highs in the upper 60's and low 70's, but everyone knew that was unusual and it should have been colder.

Is February too early to enjoy Canyonlands and Arches? Our primary goal is to hike in both parks. We don't mind cool temperatures, but we do mind snow, particulary how it obscures trails :). Most importantly, since my friend is flying in from the east coast, we would like to make sure he's not flying all that way for a stupid idea!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,243 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyonlands and Arches in February

February monthly averages are highs of 50s and lows of high 20s. Bothersome snow is possible, but not probable. It also depends on where you go elevation wise.

Snow or not, both parks are very explorable at any time of year. I might recommend motel over camping. Having dealt with 10 inches of snow in Park City on our daughter's July 4th wedding, I know that anything's possible. But I think your odds are pretty decent of a good trip. It for sure won't be as warm as your March trip was (that WAS warm even for March), it should be fun.

We've done a lot of really fun March trips. We did a snowy Christmas trip once and still had a good time hiking.

Have fun.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyonlands and Arches in February

I think Monument Valley is beautiful in the winter and a little snow won't hurt your stay there, since you're either driving or taking a tour with a guide. Moab? I'm sure you can find lots to do even with possible snow conditions.

So tell your friend to get on that plane! And have a great time.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyonlands and Arches in February

Have you been reading Noel-Donna's thread? They are down there right now and have posted some great pictures. Conditions "could" be much the same in Feb.

From their website: http://outtrim.id.au/USA2009/?cat=26

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyonlands and Arches in February

As everyone has indicated 'Do it'. What's the worst that can happen?

For us our second winter visit is over and we've just headed to the warmer climes of Florida; not sure that it is better yet. Another winter visit to Moab/Canyonlands/Arches etc is on the cards.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyonlands and Arches in February

N-D Your pictures are enough to make me take the trip one of these days...though we'll be going to Page this time around.

So sad about Dewey Bridge.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,086 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canyonlands and Arches in February

ND those pictures are great! I love the ones of the Colorado River iced over.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canyonlands and Arches in February

Thanks everyone....we've got the trip planned now, and with 4 days in Moab we figure we have enough flexibility to plan each day depending on the weather. I got my friend to confirm that potential snow and cold would not be a problem anyway, and we both discovered we're hoping late winter/early spring will bless us with fantastic photos. At least as good as Noel-Donna's.... WOW guys! Guess I will keep the tire chains in just in case....

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canyonlands and Arches in February

A follow up...Canyonlands and Arches were FANTASTIC in February. We had highs in the low 50's, and sunny. There was just enough snow in the right places to look beautiful, but not to make the trip difficult. Most of the viewpoints were deserted and/or sparsely attended. We did some wonderful hikes with only occasional sightings of other humans :) Funny thing is, I watched the weather for Moab for March, and it seems March wasn't as nice. I guess it's really down to luck, and we did well. Thanks to all those who wrote.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canyonlands and Arches in February

<<Funny thing is, I watched the weather for Moab for March, and it seems March wasn't as nice. I guess it's really down to luck>>

Do you mind if I quote you the next time someone asks? :-)

Glad you had a good time.

10. Re: Canyonlands and Arches in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 05:27
Get answers to your questions about Canyonlands National...