We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
15 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

Hi! We hope to take the hike into Horseshoe Canyon to see the petroglyphs. Could someone tell me what town would be the most convenient to stay in the night before? If you have any recommendations also as what lodging to stay in, that would be great! This trip will be in early October. thanks!

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

Try Hanksville just under 50 miles from the trailhead or Green River at around 60 miles depending on which way you go. We personally can't recommend lodging in either town so check the TA reviews for each. It probably depends which way you're headed afterwards and where you're coming from.

We stayed in Caineville when we visited Horseshoe Canyon, which is a bit further away again, but that worked for us.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
15 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

October is a terrific time to hike Horseshoe!

I'd recommend staying in Hanksville rather than Green River because it is close to the road you'll use to get to Horseshoe. I think staying in a small town like Hanksville gets you more in the mood for the remoteness of this spectacular place.

Please can I recommend something? take WATER, WATER AND MORE WATER with you! There is very little water in the canyon during summer & fall; with the trail in and out of the canyon being southern exposure you will be exposed to a lot of heat if it is a bright sunny day (even in October). Pack more water than you think you'll need, and even hide some water on the trail for your return.

Have a wonderful time. Those petroglyphs are amazing!

*Pixie*

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

I stayed in Green River. It's about an hour's drive down a well maintained dirt road to Horseshoe Canyon. Check with the visitor center in the museum to see if any recent rains washed out the road.

My last trip I stayed five nights at the Best Western River Terrace Motel and drove to different places each day. This motel was recommended to me by Tet14 who comes on Trip Advisor a lot to give advice. They have rooms that look out over the river - you can ask for one. It was fabulous and quite a luxury motel. Plus the best morning breakfast that could ever possibly be served in a motel. I remember four employees working in the kitchen and eating area.

My wife and I have stayed at the Motel Six in this town and were perfectly satisfied with the place. Get a reservation a day or two earlier; don't just waltz in at the end of the day because they'll be sold out and the lobby will be packed with stragglers.

My wife and I once pulled into town late and got a room at the Sleepy Hollow Motel. It's kind of a cheapy place but it worked fine.

In Green River you'd want to visit the John Wesley Powell Museum for an hour or two.

It might be watermelon season, too. They'll be sold on every street corner in town. Very delicious.

Ray's Tavern is the favorite place to eat; best burgers I can think of.

The Tamarisk Restaurant is right on the main street in town next door to the Best Western. It sits right on the river with big windows and a great view. Unfortunately, they do not serve beer or wine.

Anything else you want to see out there? How about Blue John Canyon? It's right next to Horseshoe Canyon. It's famous in its own special way but I don't think they want that mentioned on Trip Advisor.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

Great choice. My wife and I did this hike on Oct 17th. Amazing. We camped at the trailhead. Pit toilet is the only amenity. The views are very nice and makes for an early start. No fee either. The road in is graded, but many spots with drifting sand. Glad I had a high clearance vehicle. Good luck.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

Hey Mike, Just wondering if this road is mostly graded sand and gravel or the dreaded red clay, that makes for impassable conditions when wet?

We're considering this area as one leg of our spring trip. Any info's helpful. Thanks!

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

The road is graded and appears to get some regular attention given the heavy equipment parked at intervals. Road base varies from hard pack clay with gravel to areas of blown and drifted sand. I would not do this if it is wet or going to rain. Parts would become very rutted and a few very loose spots are on short grades making the travel even more prone to trouble. If it were frozen, you would be good.

Good luck.

Edited: 01 December 2010, 03:34
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

Hans Flat Ranger Station is near and uses the same road to get in and out. They will have a very good idea of the road conditions day by day. Try this link to get info on the station. They have a phone number listed.

fodors.com/world/…review-435659.html

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

Thanks Mike! You da man!

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ranger Hike - Horseshoe Canyon

Green River is the gateway to Horseshoe Canyon. It has multiple hotels and restaurants. While your there check out the John Wesley Powell Museum. For more information check out http://www.utahcanyonlands.com.

Edited: 22 January 2011, 01:33
Get answers to your questions about Canyonlands National...