We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iking with llamas

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
iking with llamas

We are thinking about taking the 1-2 mile easy hike with llamas when we are at Capitol Reef in Sept. Has anyone done this? Looking for reviews and is it worth it.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,537 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iking with llamas

This is a new one to me. Never seen it or heard of it, and I usually go to Capitol Reef a couple of times a year. Maybe someone else has some info. I would imagine, whatever the excursion is, it will be outside of the park.

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,537 Reviews
Torrey, UT
NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iking with llamas

Thanks for your reply. Now I'm a bit suspicious although I found this on a national parks site.

Since you go to capitol reef often do you have any suggestions for one day in sept. We are in our late 60's - early 70's and more walkers than hikers.

Thanks

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iking with llamas

A couple of flat walks are Grand Wash and Capitol Gorge. Both have minimal elevation gain, but might have sections in finer sand that makes footing more difficult and tiresome. Another couple of shorter and fairly easy walks are the Gooseneck Overlook and Sunset Point.

You'll also want to check out the orchards, petroglyph panels, short film at the visitor's center, Gifford House and other historic structures of interest.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,366 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iking with llamas

I have heard of hiking with llamas out of Escalante into the Grand Staircase, but not in Capitol Reef. I'm not sure why you would need them for a 1-2 mile hike. Mostly they are used like pack horses so you don't need to carry supplies on your back for overnighters.

There are plenty of short hikes in Capitol Reef you can do on your own. My favorite being Capitol Gorge.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Staircase Inn
Grand Staircase Inn
589 Reviews
Cannonville, UT
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,537 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iking with llamas

The llama trips are being run from Capitol Reef Resort (the former Best Western). Not sure if they are actually happening as they apparently (rumour!) didn't get permits and all the local horse people don't like the idea. Two pack llamas live in a field across from my house, they may be the ones in question, I'll ask them...

"I found this on a national parks site."

Could you post the address? The NPS is likely to take a very dim view of llama packing in the park.

Edited: 25 June 2017, 13:37
Mentioned in this post
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,537 Reviews
Torrey, UT
NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iking with llamas

I'm on an email list from NPS and the llama's were in one of them. The url that I followed from there to get to the llamas is: https:/…wilderness-ridge-trail-llamas

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,366 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iking with llamas

Still not sure why you need a llama for a two hour hike

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iking with llamas

None of the hikes they list are in Capitol Reef NP*, they are just using the name to get attention, llamas would not be permitted on trails in the park.

"Hiking with Wilderness Ridge Trail Llamas gives you private access to the western steep slopes of the Water Pocket Fold of Capitol Reef National Park"

This would be illegal. And all the land around their hikes is public, National Forest and BLM so they can't restrict access to that either.

As to why take a llama on a short hike - it's a cutesy tourist thing to do.

If you are looking for a hike like this Cook's Mesa and Meek's Mesa would be a good choice, hardly anybody up there and an unusual location. Not suitable for those that don't like heights or edges! Also a very steep access trail with some scrambling to get onto Cook's Mesa and more to continue to Meek's Mesa.

* Sulpher Creek (not Sulfur, Sulfer or Sulphur) could be in the park but wouldn't be suitable for pack animals, it extends several miles out of the park past Torrey as well. Has great flash floods in the summer.

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,537 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Capitol Reef National Park
Capitol Reef National...
1,310 Reviews
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iking with llamas

I see that on the company's own website they don't list any trips in the Torrey area, I think they ran into permit problems with the BLM and NFS.

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: iking with llamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2018, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Capitol Reef National...