We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike and Drive Planning for Mid-August

Framingham...
Level Contributor
185 posts
330 reviews
Save Topic
Hike and Drive Planning for Mid-August

I'll be driving up Scenic 12 from Bryce and spending 2 nights in Torrey in mid-August. I'm trying to plan things around the expected heat and T-Storms at that time of year. Given these weather constraints, I'm assuming hikes will need to be mornings and late afternoon/dusk. Here are some questions I hope others can help with.

1. While no one can predict the weather, at that time of year is there a certain time of day that the storms tend to occur? Does the timing differ between Bryce and Cap Reef?

2. Do the storms move through and then clear up, ie. can I hike after the storms in areas that are not flood prone?

3. Does it stay clouded over after the storm, or would there still be nice sunsets?

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike and Drive Planning for Mid-August

Actually, clouds often make for the BEST sunsets! Storms at Bryce tend to occur late afternoon/early evening. They typically blow through fast and furiously and are fascinating to watch (though very scary if you happen to be in the canyon at the time).

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike and Drive Planning for Mid-August

The storms usually start to build around noon and peak around 4-5pm then mostly clear away, it's quite variable in Capitol Reef though, we are right on the northern edge of the "monsoon" region. Capitol Reef rarely gets any rain out of these storms, they tend to dump on the higher mountains to the west including Hwy 12. If you are hiking in CR I don't think you will be much affected by the afternoon storms, obviously you will have to take into account the current conditions but floods are very very rare.

bob

Framingham...
Level Contributor
185 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike and Drive Planning for Mid-August

I'm hopeful to hike in the Grand Wash to the Narrows and Sulphur Creek to the waterfalls on the mornings while I'm there. I'm glad to hear that floods are very rare. I'll check with the Visitor Center those days just in case.

Thanks!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike and Drive Planning for Mid-August

So after saying floods were so rare we had a flash flood yesterday in Sand Creek and Sulphur Creek! By mid August Sulphur Creek should be fine, it looked like a chocolate stream today.

I took some pictures for my blog

http://www.bobpalin.com/blog/20070725_001.php

Bob Palin

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike and Drive Planning for Mid-August

Wow! Thanks for sharing those photos Bob. I sure hope I never get caught in one of those!

Sean

6. Re: Hike and Drive Planning for Mid-August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 10:38
Get answers to your questions about Capitol Reef National...