We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capitol Reef is Spectacular

Framingham...
Level Contributor
185 posts
352 reviews
Save Topic
Capitol Reef is Spectacular

Just got back from 2 days at Capitol Reef. Wow is the scenery at this park beautiful! Plus it's all very low key and uncrowded in comparison with Bryce and Zion. There's no traffic, no parking issues, and very few people on the trails. I hiked the Hickman Bridge trail and the Capitol Gorge trails starting each at about 8 AM. I had each of the trails to myself, not seeing another soul until I was just about back to the bottom of the trails.

The park was hot at mid-day. This is a good time to visit the Visitor Center, pick your own fruit at multiple orchards, see petroglyphs, and stop at the historical Mormon school, store, and blacksmith shop.

About 1/2 hour before sunset, drive down the 1 mile road to Sunset point. The scenery and the varied colors of the landscape at that time of day are breathtaking. It's amazing how far you can see, plus deep down below you is the Sulphur Creek gorge.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capitol Reef is Spectacular

Thanks for the review of your trip to Capitol Reef - were the hikes you did strenuous or can any one do them?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capitol Reef is Spectacular

Hi NMB

Good advice on Sunset Point. We'll be there later this year. Is the Holiday Inn a Comfort Inn now. Just curious. Thanks.

Tet

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capitol Reef is Spectacular

Capitol Gorge and Grand Wash are easy hikes that anyone can do, mostly flat in the bottom of a wash. Hickman Bridge is a little more strenuous though not extreme at all, it is almost all up or down hill, at least it is up on the way out and down on the way back. Nothing that somebody who regularly walks couldn't do but take your time on the steeper parts, you are at 5000 feet remember. Regular hikers will consider Hickman easy.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capitol Reef is Spectacular

"Is the Holiday Inn a Comfort Inn now."

There is no Holiday Inn in this area, I believe the Comfort Inn did used to be one but it's been 5 years at least.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capitol Reef is Spectacular

Thanks for your report NewMexBound. It is a park which gets far too few billings, but then of course that is one of the reasons I like it. :-)

6. Re: Capitol Reef is Spectacular

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Capitol Reef National...