We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
2 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

Wish I had more time, but I'll only be passing through the park and maybe will have time for a few hours of hiking. What's the best place to lodge nearest the park? Also, I've heard there's a good cafe.

This will be early October, which is a great time to visit--have driven thru at this time of year before.

Thanks in advance.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

Hi Satisfaction 7, I have not been to capitol reef, but have been rummaging around on this forum for answers to some basic questions, so thought I would try and help you out. If you scroll down a ways, there are some other posts of your exact question. There seems to be a consensus that Austin's chuckwagon is a good place to stay ( I am planning on staying at fruita campground for my upcoming trip) and that you should not miss dining at Diablo's. There is also a good trip report posted with some helpful information on capitol reef. Good luck, I know someone with more insider tips may be able to offer you more help, but I didn't want to leave you hanging. Have fun on your upcoming trip!!!!

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

We stayed and here

www.cowboyhomesteadcabins.com

very clean, comfortable and a great price.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

Close to Captiol Reef;

Many possibilities in Torrey such as Austin's Chuckwagon Motel

or

Rodeway Inn in Caineville.

By cafe you are probably referring to Cafe Diablo in Torrey referenced by spindalis above. Outstanding presentation at Cafe Diablo but at the other end of the scale you have the often overlooked Luna Mesa Oasis in Caineville for another sort of experience altogether.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

I highly recommnd Cafe Diablo. I've only eaten there once, but it was great.

We stayed at the Best Western in Torrey. It is simple, but clean and has great views.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
472 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

Another vote for Austins Chuckwagon for lodging. Very nice, clean, quaint, and great staff. It's also reasonably close to the park. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

the Rim Rock Inn is where we stayed in Torrey. Right across from the BW, I believe. Hated it! small, old and felt dirty. And I am not terribly picky when it comes to somewhere to lay my head for a national park-- Go with OH's suggestion or the Chuckwagon. That was my first choice, but was booked at the time.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,333 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

Another vote for Austins Chuckwagon and Cafe Diablo.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

Another vote for ambiance and convenience with Austin's Chuckwagon; plus, they have a pretty great pool! It truly is the center of town.

There are other nice hotels (including some really new ones) on the outskirts of Torrey, closer to Capitol Reef that would be nice (Howard Johnson's, Best Western).

*Pixie*

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

Best Western has some upgraded "suite style"" rooms. They are at the westside of the property, have a private patio and great views on the garden and mountains.

10. Re: Where to spend a night nearest to Capitol Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 11:16