We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

Lajord
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

We are driving from Torrey to Boulder in July. I was wondering if the

scenery would be nicer if we took the Nolom Road Scenic Backway then turn onto the Burr Trail towards Boulder, rather then, taking Hwy 12 to Boulder then travel down the Burr Trails. So I guess I am wondering if Hwy #12 has nicer scenery then Nolom Road Scenic Backway?

Lajord
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

Sorry the road is called Notom, not Nolom....I guess I needed my glasses on in order to see the fine printing on the map I was looking at.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

For me this is a tough choice, Highway 12 over Boulder Mountain is a great mountain road with a number of turnoffs offering spectacular views of Capitol Reef and the Henry Mountains beyond. The Notom Road takes you right through part of the Waterpocket Fold and you still get some views of the Henry Mountains.

Be aware that there are long stretches of sand on the Notom Road, it's not usually dangerously deep but can be 'interesting' if you are not used to driving on sand. In July the 'monsoons' start, if there has been rain in the previous 24 hours or it looks likely to rain don't use the Notom Road, there are some stretches of bentonite mud that will get you stuck and a couple of washes that can flood if the rain falls up on the side of Boulder Mountain above you. What vehicle will you be driving?

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

I absolutely love driving over Boulder Mountain, but if you want to see some of that beautiful red rock scenery that Capitol Reef is famous for (rather than mountain scenery) I'd take the Notom Road to the Burr Trail back to Hwy 12. I drove it a couple of years back and it was the highlight of my trip.

Please heed KillerBob's advice on weather and vehicles before attempting. If you only have a rental car do not do it!! Take the paved Burr Trail road out of Boulder.

*Pixie*

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

I guess I had assumed that the OP would have seen Capitol Reef on the way to Torrey - there isn't much red rock on the Notom Road itself. OP also said they would travel down the Burr Trail once they arrived in Boulder if they took UT12. (I consider that a must do, at least to the end of Long Canyon!)

Lajord
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

My husband has a 4x4 truck but if it is raining and/or had rained we will take plan B and view the Boulder Mountains instead. Thanks for your advice.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

That will work - are you planning any other dirt road adventures in the Capitol Reef area? I would be glad to advise you on that. (I drive the back country on a regular basis)

Lajord
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

We will be driving a 4 x 4 truck.

Lajord
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

I would greatly appreciate any information that you can share with me. We don't have a lot of time in the area but will try hit most of the "must see" area's. We hope to fit in a 1 to 2 hour hike, what trail would be the best to take in the area?

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

Since you have your own 4WD. My choice would be Notom road to Burr trail. Quite a bit more to see than hwy 12. (both are cool though) You could walk down the Lower Muley Twist Canyon for an hour and then return. It is right at the top of the Burr tr switchbacks that cut thru the Fold.

Lajord
Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive Nolom Road Scenic Backway VS Hwy 12

Thanks for your advice. We will certainly be taking the Burr Trail and take a hike down the Lower Muley Twist Canyon.

Get answers to your questions about Capitol Reef National...