We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Biking in Capitol Reef

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
183 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain Biking in Capitol Reef

I'm looking for suggestion for good mountain biking trails.

Can anyone tell me how the trails in Capitol Reef compare to trails in Moab? Is there sandstone ("slickrock") type trails?

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Biking in Capitol Reef

Here's a link for some trails and videos for the area: http://capitolreef.org/biking.html.

I've seen bikes along the Scenic Drive in the Park, and in spots along Highway 24. I wouldn't ride a bike on 24... too much traffic! \

I have never biked in Capitol Reef, but personally I'd think the Notom Road would be a great bike road. That's not in the park though~

Good luck with your trip planning!

*Pixie*

Edited: 25 April 2013, 21:30
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Biking in Capitol Reef

Pixie's link is the best info available. Capitol Reef is not a great mountain biking destination, certainly not like Moab. I don't think there any trails within the park itself which is pretty normal for national parks as far as I can tell. There are some good short rides up on the Velvet Ridge above Torrey but no true large slickrock areas. The Notom Road would be very dull for a mountain biker (I'm married to one!), mostly straight, wide and sandy.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 14:57
Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain Biking in Capitol Reef

UPDATE! A new article posted on the blog gives more ideas for biking in Capitol Reef: capitolreef.org/blog/road-cycling-in-capitol…

*Pixie*

4. Re: Mountain Biking in Capitol Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Capitol Reef National...