We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cleetwood Cove hike

Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cleetwood Cove hike

My wife & I (late 60's) would like to take the boat ride on Crater Lake.

We are both in good shape and enjoy short hikes, but being "flatlanders" we are not crazy about uphill hikes at altitude. Is there anyplace to stop and rest? Are there switchbacks or is it a straight run?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cleetwood Cove hike

I did that hike a few years ago, with my wife and two of her friends. I was maybe 60. They took boat but I did not cause i forgot to bring a hat. So I watched as they left and soon started the long trip up the hill. I needed several rest stops, but they have them. We live in Portland area which is just above sea level, so that may be flatlander.

Anyway if trip sounds good to you take it. hike up hill is a small challenge but doable for young peope like you. The women were tired but not complaining about hike

Edited: 26 July 2011, 22:43
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cleetwood Cove hike

I think if you want to do the boat ride- you should just do it and go slow on the return. If I remember correctly, there are some switch backs and some rest stops(I cant remember if htere are benches though-seems like there were but not sure). Make sure to bring some water if its hot out...

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cleetwood Cove hike

The trail does have switchbacks as well as benches along the way. Unless someone has mobility or other health issues, the trail is fine. Enjoy!

Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cleetwood Cove hike

Thank you everyone for the advice. I think we will include this in our Crater Lake trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
405 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cleetwood Cove hike

I just did this hike and there are nine switchbacks on the trail. On the return hike, there is one long switchback (I believe it's either the 4th or 5th from the bottom), which is the most tiring, mostly because of it's length, but it's not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be. Just take it slow and have plenty of water on hand, and don't feel like you have to keep up with anyone else.

6. Re: Cleetwood Cove hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Crater Lake National...