We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

Hi everyone,

A friend and I are planning a road trip from San Francisco to Seattle and back for 10 days in July. We are hoping to head north from SF and hit Crater Lake, Portland, and Seattle and then come back down the coast back to San Francisco.

We want to camp, take moderate scenic hikes, and hit some hot springs and/or tube-able rivers along the way. There are so many options we are feeling a bit overwhelmed and would really appreciate any advice you all might have.

Thank you!!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

Google Map the following interesting route, see if it works. 10 days RT is not a lot for this and still smell the roses, so be realistic about the amount of driving and time as you'll be needing stops for dining, rest-stops, setting up camp, traffic, etc. Southbound on the OR coast is better than northbound; easier to pull off at the many viewpoints,therefore safer with all of the summer traffic.

SF - I-5 toward Crater Lake, Bend, OR, Columbia R. Gorge, Portland (maybe, possibly bypass it), Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, Seattle, then south to Astoria and down the OR coast and 101 to SF.

Consider too how much time, and inclination, you'll have to visit Portland and Seattle and their many sights. In short, perhaps keep skip Seattle and leave that for another trip, there is simply too much to see and to do in that region.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 14:43
San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

Thank you Voyaging! We are both city gals so we are hoping to spend at least one day & night in both Portland and Seattle. There is so much to do and see! Luckily we have already both explored the coast south of Mendocino in CA so we can skip the last leg of the CA coast (Sonoma, etc.).

Does anyone have any suggestions for stops between SF and Crater Lake? And any must see destinations and/or campsites between Portland and Seattle?

Thank you very much!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

The quickest way between Portland and Seattle is I-5. Okay, but somewhat on the dull side, in my experience. It's only about 4 hours between the two cities, though, so you won't need to camp in-between them.... unless there is some specific reason?

If you're heading north on I-5 to Crater Lake, you can take the Hwy 97 cutoff up to Klamath Falls and Crater Lake. (There aren't any falls in KFalls, though!)

Would you be camping this night? If so, there is Friendly RV Park (tents okay, no CC's) in Weed and a KOA in Mt Shasta. Mt Shasta is a cute little town :-)

Along the Oregon coast there are over 100 campgrounds and RV parks. Here is a list, click on the blue link:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c194822/Oreg…

(Note if you're tent camping - not all RV parks accept tents)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

only must see destination between Seattle/Portland is Mt St helens- no need to camp out between- good stop over between Portland and Puget Sound.

if you go up 101 Redwoods are a must stop if you havent seen them. Much larger and more impressive than their southern cousins. If you want to take the inland route, Ashland along I-5 might be a good fit since you are city gals... and you like the artsy vibe...

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

Thank you half-brit and Chinookgrrl! I really appreciate your taking the time.

We are definitely into the arty vibe, so Ashland sounds great.

Now I am trying to decide between Ahjumawi lava springs state park, Burney Falls, or Lassan Natn'l park to camp and spend one day hiking or getting in the water.

Does anyone have a preference?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,989 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

Hi Leah,

If you take the turnoff of Grants Pass it has a wonderful river running right through it. You could take a Hellgate CanyonJetboat ride up river on jet boats that are on pontoons and can skim over 4" of water. It's just such a fun way to play in the river. It's loaded so if you think you may do that you will want reservations.

The Rogue River is great for rafting and tubing too.

From Rogue River you could take 5 into Portland in about 4 hours and retreat to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Waterfalls, rivers and creeks~ very scenic and enjoyable. Find a place to stay in Hood River. (the river) The CRGNSA is the most visited area in Oregon.

You could check www.bestgorge.com for more information on it.

Best luck with planning.

MrsO

Edited: 23 May 2013, 23:54
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

You're welcome Leah :-)

Can't help you in that area - post on the California forum (the main state one or Lassen NP one) and you probably will get some information.

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

Thank you MrsO!!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,989 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

Sorry Leah,

I meant Hood River, the city. The river would be wet.

m

Burney, California
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco to Seattle in 10 days in July

The only way out to Ahjumawi is by boat. It is beautiful and rich in history. McArthur Burney Falls is also beautiful. If you want peace and seclusion, Ahjumawi State Park is the place to go. It just depends what you are after.