We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake Next June Trip Planning

Groveland...
Level Contributor
110 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Crater Lake Next June Trip Planning

Hi there, seeking advice on a trip to Crater Lake next June 2014. Am traveling in VW Westy from Yosemite area (Groveland, CA) to Eugene, OR to visit family, want to work a 3-ish day visit to Crater Lake into the trip.

What about camping, how to reserve camping close to the lake, NP campground or other, any national forest disbursed camping in the area?

NPS boat tour of lake sounds like a must do, is it running in June, dates, how to book?

Best 3 suggested day hikes in the area, I can do 3 to 5 miles if it's steep, 8 to 10 miles if not.

All and any information welcome, thanks for your help!

Carolyn

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater Lake Next June Trip Planning

A year ago in mid-June we stayed at the Running Y, a resort near Crater Lake. The north entrance opened while we were there so were able to drive through and out the North entrance. Hard to know what you might find.

Diamond Lake has a lot of Forest Service CGs.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,958 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater Lake Next June Trip Planning

The boat tour starts usually around the end of June, early July. It depends upon the snowpack.

craterlakelodges.com/activities/…

There is Mazama campground within CLNP and as phirl said, several more to the north at Diamond Lake. You reserve Mazam through Xanterra, plus they always leave some 'first come first served' sites open, although if you want electricity you probably should book ahead.

I have read where mosquitos are a problem at Mazama, but we've not stayed there. We've stayed at Diamond Lake RV Resort with full hookups which isn't really a "resort" but has some lake view sites (Diamond, not Crater).

The north entrance/exit may be open, may not.

Groveland...
Level Contributor
110 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crater Lake Next June Trip Planning

Thanks.. love the Siamese photo, reminds me of Spike the Cat (dec.). Spent some time today looking at maps.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crater Lake Next June Trip Planning

I don't consider Crater Lake as great place t hike. The east Rim road likely will still be closed. You may not be able to get to the parking lot to hike down to lake, and trail may not be open.

If north entrance is closed suggest you come into CL from Klamath Falls then leave down to Union Creek then north to N Umpqua. If N ent is open go to Medford then north to Union Creek. then to CL and out N ent. to N Umpqua

Couple of thoughts of things kind of on way to Eugene. Union Creek is a nice stop. You can hike along Rogue River to Natural Bridge, 2 miles so, but then you need to get back to your car. Rogue Gorge is a must stop. you could start hike to Natural Bridge from there.

Another thought is to visit the several waterfalls on N Umpqua Hwy Toketee for sure. You can come out on I-5 near Roseburg and head north for Eugene

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crater Lake Next June Trip Planning

Natural Bridge is a place where the entire Rogue River goes underground for a ways. There is a parking lot there so you do not need to take the 2 mile hike to see it. I just think it is a nice hike along the River in a place where it is well away from Highway

Groveland...
Level Contributor
110 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crater Lake Next June Trip Planning

Thanks, will look into those locations!

7. Re: Crater Lake Next June Trip Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:20