We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

Thanks to all the replies in a past forum I think I am changing my vac plans slightly. I am planning a trip to Crater Lake in early Sept. 2014. I'll be traveling from AL and considering flying into Portland. I love the outdoors, mountains, and photography. Single traveler this time. I'm looking for a scenic route from Portland - CLNP - Portland. I will be in/out Sat - Sat. And, is one day sufficient for Crater Lake?

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

Is the Rogue-Umpqua National Scenic Byway a must see?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

One day is certainly sufficient for Crater Lake. The scenic byway you mention is 172 miles long and it does travel through some beautiful areas (Google it). Unless you have scads of time, driving the whole thing does not make a lot of sense. I would suggest that, upon leaving CL, you take 230 and 62 to Grants Pass, then down 199 to Crescent City. This route passes through the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. If that does not fill in your scenic checkbox, 6 miles south of Requa, CA (south of Crescent City on 101) you will see signs for the Newton P. Drury Scenic Bypass, ten miles of redwoods.

That certainly extends your Portland-CL-Portland trip, but it does give you more to see and film, and probably takes about the same amount of time.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

Thanks for the info. I will definitely add this to my list to research.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

Anyone have any input for Hells Canyon Scenic Byway?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

In my work years I was on Oregon Scenic Byway Comm. I have driven them all several times.

For your trip suggest you do Rogue-Umpqua SB from Roseburg to CL. That is most scenic part. If you can fit in Bob's suggestion good idea.

Hells Canyon SB too far out of way for your limited time. Nice drive but not really worth extra effort to get there.

One SB tI suggest doing is Columbia Gorge. Easy from Portland Another that may fir is McKenzie Pass near Bend.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

Hells Canyon is really too far.. If you are in the area for a week.

At this time of year there will likely be wildfires around. be aware of it because you may need to change your route through the mountains.

Crater lake take a day max to do where you drive in in the AM, spend the entire day there, then leave after sunset and likely drive to Medford/Grants Pass for lodgining.

next day drive down to Crescent city for the redwoods. You can spend 1-2 days explorin here.

Oregon coast takes 3 days to do.

day 1 CA/OR line to Bandon

day 2 Bandon to Newport/Lincol city

day 3 Newport/Lincoln city to cannon Beach (for sunset)

you can just do one day trip to the coast. If you do just one day I suggest the southern part then from Bandon/Coos Bay you can drive out to I-5.

If you srent going to do the redwoods then do Newport to Cannon Beach part.

An alternate irinerary....

day 1 drive throuh the Gorge, by Mt Hood to bend

day 2 crater Lake Am/early PM then drive to Roseburg through the mountains

day 3 drive up to Coast

day 4 coast to cannon beach for sunset, niht in longview/Kelso, WA

day 5 St Helens

day 6 Mt Rainier

day 7 Portland

1 day to do columbia gorge/Mt Hood loop.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

KIMWIN192, are you interested in the coast route? Or are you thinking more inland / mountains?

No matter where you go, you'll find beautiful scenery so it depends upon what interests you more!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

More inland/mountains. Coast is pretty but prefer mountains.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

Okay, then you'll have several options. One would be to head east through the Columbia Gorge on the historic highway. You could go to Hood River, then south on 35 to Mt Hood, then southeast on 26 to Hwy 97. A slightly longer route would be to go east to The Dalles, then take 197 south.

Or you could go south on I-5 to Roseburg and up the mountain on lovely 138 by the river.

Or you could take I-5 nd one of three routes up the mountain through Sisters, then south to Hwy 97.

If you have a map of Oregon you can see where these different routes are.

10. Re: scenic route from Portland to Crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Crater Lake National...