We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wizard Island questions

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Wizard Island questions

My wife and plan to be at crater lake July 4th weekend for two nights. We plan to take the boat tour of the lake but we're trying to decide if want to do the island stop. We'd like to find out more about what there is to do on the island and what facilities, etc there are. We are mid fifties in decent shape but not real experienced hikers. Are the restroom facilities and anywhere fir food or drink. What about shelter if needed due to storm?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wizard Island questions

Using my favorite tool, Google Earth, I can't see much in the way of facilities. There are a couple of buildings near the boat dock but the rest of the island is pristine.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wizard Island questions

OK--thanks. I would also like some feedback from someone who's been there firsthand if possible.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wizard Island questions

Hi, I have not been to Wizard Island (and have no desire to go!) but have read on the CL websites that there are no facilities other than pit toilets. No water. Have you read some of the reviews? They describe the trails and rocky terrain well. Keep in mind you will already be at fairly high elevation.

Click on this website and scroll down to the "Wizard Island Options" section:

http://www.rogueweb.com/crater/

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wizard Island questions

As someone who has actually been there, no, there is nothing there. No place to buy anything, and nothing but composting toilets at the dock. If you want shelter if a storm brews, your best bet is by the boat dock.

I personally think the boat tour and Wizard Island are wonderful!

Laguna Beach, CA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Wizard Island questions

Mtngirl - since you have been there, do you know what the boarding/deboarding of the boat is like? Sometimes there are ladders and/or large gaps required. We will be travelling with a 5-year old and someone with a cane and want to see if a trip to Wizard Island is accessible by boat for them. Thanks!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wizard Island questions

kd909--The 5 yr old would most likely be fine, but I would not recommend the boat ride at all, much less to Wizard Island, for anyone that needs a cane, sorry:( I think with your group dynamics, you would be better off enjoy the views from up along the rim, and maybe take the trolley tour. Enjoy!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
159 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wizard Island questions

I greatly enjoyed the visit to Wizard Island, but, unless you want to hike up to the top of the island, and part way around the island, you will not find anything to do there. Neither hike is difficult, but, it is very rocky all over the place, with a lot of unsure footing, so not a good place to wander much if you are using a cane or have any difficulty walking. But, if you made it down to catch the boat without difficulty, you should have no great difficulty getting to the Wizard Island summit. A young one would want to run all over the island, but, I probably would not want to take my 6 year old granddaughter on the trip, It is a long time in the boat, plus an extended period of time on the island and young folks would likely get bored.

8. Re: Wizard Island questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Crater Lake National...