We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp on wizard island?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
40 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Camp on wizard island?

I know the park website says that camping is not allowed on the island. I'm wondering if there are ever any exceptions- allowed with a back country pass? Or as part of a research team? Or by some sort of special arrangement? Anyone have any leads? Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camp on wizard island?

Heidi - I'm guessing the deafening silence means that no one knows any more than you. Google makes equal "experts" of many of us, but the kind of advice you're seeking comes only from personal experience. I'm curious though... are you really part of a research team? Otherwise, having seen Wizard Island many times, I'm wondering where you could camp on the island, and why you'd want to. Best of luck though.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
40 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camp on wizard island?

Thanks! No, i'm not part of a research team! My husband and i have always wanted to see the stars from the island, though. Seems a magical thing to do, especially for our first anniversary. I know some people have done it because we've seen time lapse videos of the night sky from the island. We've been to crater lake a couple times cross country skiing, but have never seen it without snow. I'll ask a ranger!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camp on wizard island?

Nice you got a cheery reply, even though only a few of the regular posters have been to Wizard Island :-)

My thought is that you should contact CLNP directly to enquire about something like this. You're probably right that you would need some sort of permit and/or special arrangement. Good luck!

4. Re: Camp on wizard island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:17